Land Rover rescue in the Faulklands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land Rover rescue in the Faulklands

A friend of mine took these pics as he was posted out there for a while. The ground was pete with a thick crust and underneath was soft and boggy.
    He had 2 TD5's, 3 Pajeros LWB,2 Double cab Land rover 130's and a 90 with snorkel and an Army BV (track vehicle) and the 3.0 surf in photo. Unfortunately he said the surf was the worst out of the lot and always got stuck. He said it was always the last vehicle in the yard...but that was probably because of the colour!
    He had to travel off road everyday all day to go to work...perfect!
    Last edited by surfstar; 10 January 2007, 16:08.
    Kite Surf

aye ...canny.....errr which photo am i looking at?

.....there they are!!
    Last edited by jaky cakes; 10 January 2007, 16:20.
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

They're on their way.

Comment

Time he learned how to put it in 4wd.
        Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by surfstar
          A friend of mine took these pics as he was posted out there for a while. The ground was pete with a thick crust and underneath was soft and boggy.
          He had 2 TD5's, 3 Pajeros LWB,2 Double cab Land rover 130's and a 90 with snorkel and an Army BV (track vehicle) and the 3.0 surf in photo. Unfortunately he said the surf was the worst out of the lot and always got stuck. He said it was always the last vehicle in the yard...but that was probably because of the colour!
          He had to travel off road everyday all day to go to work...perfect!
          I'm no expert, but I'd have thought tyres / tyre pressure are the only things to think about when driving on soft levellish ground. Just about any 4x4 with low pressure fat tyres should be OK.

My surf with fairly wide tyres was much better than a stock Defender 110 on marshy sand. I didn't have any trouble at all, whereas the Defender sank a bit.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

all depends... if you're on peat, then you'll want big fat tyres to spread the load out so you don't sink and go easy on the power...

if you're on slippy mud with a solid surface underneath, then you want skinny tyres and give it a bit of welly to dig in...

same with snow, if it's on top of tarmac, then you want to have skinny tyres that will grip the tarmac.
            if it's deep snow then you want fat tyres that will keep you above the surface.
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
              all depends... if you're on peat, then you'll want big fat tyres to spread the load out so you don't sink and go easy on the power...

if you're on slippy mud with a solid surface underneath, then you want skinny tyres and give it a bit of welly to dig in...

same with snow, if it's on top of tarmac, then you want to have skinny tyres that will grip the tarmac.
              if it's deep snow then you want fat tyres that will keep you above the surface.
              Yeah, thats what I was getting at. In some situations, tyre choice is everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                Yeah, thats what I was getting at. In some situations, tyre choice is everything.
                oh yeah... i used my lazy eye to read it first time round.

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                  you want fat tyres that will keep you above the surface.
                  No, you want a hovercraft, wings or a jetpack to keep you above the surface.

Sorry, Matt F isn't around so I thought I'd fill the gap.

Comment

No, you want a hovercraft, wings or a jetpack to keep you above the surface.

Sorry, Matt F isn't around so I thought I'd fill the gap.
                    or, lay on top of Logey's 14 tonner!

Comment

In some situations, tyre choice is everything.
                      A Fiat Panda 4x4 with M/T's will out wheel ANY 4x4 with street tyres if its slippery.

Tyres are everything, Axle articuation, Traction control, big motors, lockers, etc won't help you if the tyres can't get any grip.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                        A Fiat Panda 4x4 with M/T's will out wheel ANY 4x4 with street tyres if its slippery.

Tyres are everything, Axle articuation, Traction control, big motors, lockers, etc won't help you if the tyres can't get any grip.

An expert agrees with me... ME!!!

Comment

Who that then??? :looking over shoulder:

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

he's no expert!... he just saw some dudes down devils pit with a panda and dumper tyres!

Comment

BTW Tony, will give you a bell in the next week or so to arrange a date for you changing the driveshaft boots.

Would like that done, diff oils and ATF. Is there anything else should be done while you're under there?

How long will that lot take? Couple hours?

Want me to get boots, or do you have them?

Comment

Working...
                              X