Damn damn damn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn damn damn!

Just went for a drive to my fave place for floods - the back lanes near Upton on Severn. Flooded lanes of around 2ft depth and 100 yards distance can often be found. Tonight it was about 18" max.

However, as I rounded one bend I found a 'community bus' stopped with the interior lights on. I pulled alongside (knowing my right wheels were probably pretty close to the ditch (these are narrow lanes) and the driver (a young girl of about 25) told me the engine had stopped and she couldn't start it. I'd estimate she was in the deepest bit of around 18". She had half a dozen young special needs kiddies all looking a bit upset in there and... the point of the story...

I had no equipment to tow her out!!!

I carried on through, feeling the truck rock to the right as the ditch tried to get me and turned round at the end of the road to come back. When I got back she'd managed to get a signal on her phone and was talking to the AA but she was going to be sat there a while with the poor kids while they came out. If I'd had a strap, I could have towed her out to Upton and at least she could have waited somewhere more comfortable than a dark lane for the AA.

Right, gotta get that strap off my mate and get the truck sorted so I can be a proper good samaritan!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

This country would be so much better of with more people like you - even though you couldn't help - you really wanted to - and when you come across a similar event another time, you'll be able to help.

Things like that are the reason I carry a tow rope, tool kit, fuel and water, and a big first aid kit.

Nice one for trying to help!
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

was the bird fit?

don't get me wrong, i'd help an ugly bird out as well, just makes for a nicer picture in my head, that's all!
      i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

I just got back in from my 'flood patrol' rounds. A bit more rain tonight and I reccon the Rivers Leam and Avon will be over the roads by tomorow moring.

Always keep a towrope and torch in the car- mighty useful (and possibly profitable) for such weather!

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
          I just got back in from my 'flood patrol' rounds. A bit more rain tonight and I reccon the Rivers Leam and Avon will be over the roads by tomorow moring.

Always keep a towrope and torch in the car- mighty useful (and possibly profitable) for such weather!
          The Avon is already over the fields under the M5. Wont be long.

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
            was the bird fit?

don't get me wrong, i'd help an ugly bird out as well, just makes for a nicer picture in my head, that's all!
            have you stolen my brain and added a conscience chip?

(that spelling of conscience looks wrong, but spell check say ok...)
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

no brains here...but you have spelt conscience right!
              i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
                was the bird fit?

When my missus finished wiping the tears of laughter off her face, she said she'd slap you for being such a chauvenist! Women eh? Schizos, the lot of em!

Comment

Originally posted by itbloke@tiscali.co.uk
                  This country would be so much better of with more people like you - even though you couldn't help - you really wanted to - and when you come across a similar event another time, you'll be able to help.

Things like that are the reason I carry a tow rope, tool kit, fuel and water, and a big first aid kit.

Nice one for trying to help!

Also shows that 4x4 drivers DO think of othere and is good PR
                  www.puppywalker.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by tonytom

Also shows that 4x4 drivers DO think of othere and is good PR
                    Thats what I was thinking too. Next time I need to be able to help because that would be one person who'd go and tell her mates / colleagues that a chap in a 4x4 helped her out.

Comment

when we had the snow in Nov 05 i was flagged down by a couple who couldn't get their car up the hill so left at the road side.So while giving them a lift and chatting with them i said about the anti's who moan about 4x4's and the woman said that they were against 4x4's themselves then i think oh sh1te i just put my foot right in it.
                      The woman then said that her mind has been changed a bit about 4x4's as i was the only one who stopped to give assistance.I couldn't tow them up the hill as i never had a tow rope at the time,but i make sure i have at least 1 in the surf at all times now
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                        the woman said that they were against 4x4's themselves
                        Should've stopped, kicked them out and allowed them to walk

Shove that up your Prius and smoke it!

Comment

Working...
                        X