Kinetic Energy Recovery Rope (KERR)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinetic Energy Recovery Rope (KERR)

Anyone know where i can get a Kinetic Energy Recovery Rope (KERR) at a good price???
    Bought one on e bay in november but still aint got it so gettin money paid back into paypal account
    www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

http://www.famousfour.co.uk/foursport/rope.php
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

Don't know what a good price is but this is on eBay (unless it's from the company you already tried to buy from?)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kinetic-Nylon-...QQcmdZViewItem
      'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

I'd be careful about KERR's. I bought one, only to discover that at 6tonne it is not meaty enough to use with the Surf. Apparently pulling out a 2-3tonne vehicle can exert as much as 5-6 times the joint weight of the vehicles.
        Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

more info here, i was on a site earlier with a better description of the forces involved in a snatch recovery, but i can't find it now.

12 Tonne will be fine unless your bonnet deep and proper stuck in thick mud.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

I'd leave them alone, or keep it for extreme emergencys only. We've never failed to get a stuck truck out with normal tow straps or a winch.

One broken windscreen and soiled pants because of a shoddy bit of welding on a LR's recovery point is enough for me. You should see one bend a Witter tow bar in half when some clown hooked it over the tow bar and gave the tow car some welly, stunnning! but scary!

(edit, don't take this as you don't know what your doing, it just an opinion. They are great for what they do, but I can admit I don't feel comfortable using one without way more experiance or instruction, can't speak for anyone else.)
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

They do have to be treated with respect and can do some serious damage, i have seen a disco break his front halfshafts snatching someone. I would say in most situations they are fine, but you just have to be prepared to do a little at a time. The principle behind them is to anchor up the brakes just before they reach full stretch, and either drop the clutch or in an auto knock the selector into neutral and let the rope and the brakes do the work rather than the drivetrain. If the bogged car only moves 4" at a time then so be it, but don't start driving like a madman through the stretch and beyond. Which is what the driver of the aforementioned disco did (a marshal at an offroad site). And like it says in the article i linked to, both vehicles need to have good solid recovery points.

They are generally quick and convenient though, rather than spooling out a winch cable everytime someone gets stuck, when you just need a little more than a standard strop can offer.
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                more info here, i was on a site earlier with a better description of the forces involved in a snatch recovery, but i can't find it now.

12 Tonne will be fine unless your bonnet deep and proper stuck in thick mud.
                Interesting, anyone want to buy an 8 Tonne 6m KERR?
                Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Sorry, my last post didn't read right, I wasn't trying to shout you down Tony.

I guess what i meant was this, when you just need a little more than a standard strop can offer they are quicker than spooling out a winch cable.

And at the same time with a well bogged vehicle they are still capable of getting it out if you take your time and use them right. Although in this situation it may well be a quicker and safer option to spool out a winch cable anyway.

Hope that reads better.
                  =========
                  =SOLD UP!=
                  =========

Comment

i got mine from here

http://www.firstfouroffroad.co.uk/INTRO.htm

the one with the bridle and a few heavy duty shackles.

its pulled me out the sh*t a few times.

cheers scotty

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                      Hope that reads better.
                      Its fine, not worried, just talking shooting the breeze on my experiances with them.
                      My biggest issue with them is the other person, if you trust them to use them on your truck if your stuck, or you don't know how well their car is put together, twice i've pulled people out with them, only to have the D ring mount come off the car due to $$$$py welding and smash my windscreen, or the front hook pull straight out of a rusty Toyota chassis.

A least with a winch, or even pulling on a strop you get a chance to see something bad happening and stop, and with a coat or something over the winch line it just falls to the floor if someting breaks

Once you've got that KERR stretched out, theres no going back!

They WILL get you out of a sticky bog of you only have one other car and not much traction. But we tend not to get that seriously stuck any more. (tempting fate!!!)

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                        My biggest issue with them is the other person, if you trust them to use them on your truck if your stuck, or you don't know how well their car is put together,
                        Yeah i see your point with that actually, some of the people i go out with i wouldn't want them to be snatching me out of a sticky situation. But i guess it comes down to assessing each individual situation and deciding what is the best recovery method.
                        =========
                        =SOLD UP!=
                        =========

Comment

Working...
                        X