FAO g8awo, gbsurf, Simono and anyone else who wants a laugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark g8awo
    I run a 706 with remote head facilities this keeps the radio away from feet plus this also keeps the feeder down to the minimum with the aid of a smart tuner a 9ft whip doesnt look out of place.
    Thanks Mark, Sounds like a nice setup. Was thinking about a similar rig myself! Just have to save the pennies now
    Regards,
    Andrew
    G0RVM

Comment

It looks good Kitesurf Phil.
      It has brought back memories of when I was a teenager and on the CB (sorry for swearing) - anyway I mounted a half wave on the back of my pushbike and powered up with a rechargeable house alarm battery. It was brilliant until I leant too far into a corner one day ...................
      If you're gonna have one ...... have a good'un!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
        I finished my mobile antenna for the lower frequency ham radio bands. I test drove it to Acton on Monday and didn't hit a single bridge. Got some funny looks from the truckers on the M1 and enjoyed listening to the comments on 27MHz ( most unprintable). Believe it or not this is just legal. Won't be if I lift the suspension by 1" though

Only thing we can legally do bigger than the Americans!!!
        LOL no more " Where's me car?" in the car park then............

Comment

Originally posted by asgawth
          Looks cool to me!

Where in the truck are you mounting the radio(s)?
          Also, how is the antenna cable is fed back into the truck and then to the radio(s).

I am going to put my old 2M rig in 'til I can afford something that does HF. Thats the mission for next weekend. Assuming this booming rain stops.
          I run an Alinco DX70TH remote mounted in one of the side cubby holes. The face-off unit is mounted across the cubby hole under the BC band radio and the up-down tuning/PTT switch is on the drivers door arm rest near the mirror adjustment buttons. I got one of those blank cassette thingies that allows you to take the audio from your diskman and play it through the stereo. The sound from the rig comes out of the hi-fi speakers.
          The 2M rig is roof mounted near the interior light, although I am toying with building a roof mounted console. I run 6M and 2M using a 5/8 wave for 2M and a sturdy mag mount on the roof.
          73 de G0RKF

PS. There is a handy blank grommet on the drivers side bulkhead, near to the turbo/brake servo, that is handy for getting the power leads through.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by asgawth
            Thanks Mark, Sounds like a nice setup. Was thinking about a similar rig myself! Just have to save the pennies now
            Have a think about the 857 too nice little radio and the ic 7000 is due for release in the very near future will be lookin at the prerelease model @ Lynchys tomorrow whilst im workin there....
            Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Have a think about the 857 too nice little radio and the ic 7000 is due for release in the very near future will be lookin at the prerelease model @ Lynchys tomorrow whilst im workin there....
              O' to live in the SE again! Over here in Bristol there is not a shop in site
              Anyway 2M radio now fitted (thanks for the grommit info Kitesurf). One wee problem - no antenna or mount yet! Will try and rectify that with a spot of Internet shopping tomorrow.

Thanks for the info on radio's.
              Regards,
              Andrew
              G0RVM

Comment

Give Lynchy a ring he does a good range of roof rail mounts plus a full range of bootlip mounts.. I run the Maldol HMC 6 mounted on the spare wheel hanger

Comment

Give Lynchy a ring he does a good range of roof rail mounts plus a full range of bootlip mounts.. I run the Maldol HMC 6 mounted on the spare wheel hanger
                  I would associate Lynchy with selling radio's / boxes mainly and not this sort of thing. But maybe that's what being off air for years does to you.

Anyway, went down B&Q today and came back with some U bolts and a suitable steel bracket. So tomorrow's mission is to do some bodging. Its going to be attached to the spare wheel arm too. Thanks Toyota!

Andrew
                  Regards,
                  Andrew
                  G0RVM

Comment

My CB's reception has been rather poor lately, got a new antenna connector as the wires had frayed a it, but the reception is still poor (my 1 foot high mag mount antenna is getting better reception).
                    So I'm thinking of replacing the whole antenna, antenna wire, and mounting.

I don't like mag mounts, as I'm not sure they won't come off at motorway speeds, or in scrotes hands at night, and I don't want to put any holes in the bodywork. At the moment I've got a boot mount fitted to the bonnet with an warthing strap to ground it, I was thinking about getting a mirror mount and adapting it so it will fit into the numberplate braket screws on the A bar, as this already has a very good ground.

For the antenna www.thunderpole.co.uk do a 2 metre antenna called the sirio Hi Power 4000 or maybe the orbitor at 1.5 metres.Although they advice mag mounts I suspect they would probably fit a mirror mount.

Any advice please

Duane
                    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
                      My CB's reception has been rather poor lately, got a new antenna connector as the wires had frayed a it, but the reception is still poor (my 1 foot high mag mount antenna is getting better reception).
                      So I'm thinking of replacing the whole antenna, antenna wire, and mounting.

I don't like mag mounts, as I'm not sure they won't come off at motorway speeds, or in scrotes hands at night, and I don't want to put any holes in the bodywork. At the moment I've got a boot mount fitted to the bonnet with an warthing strap to ground it, I was thinking about getting a mirror mount and adapting it so it will fit into the numberplate braket screws on the A bar, as this already has a very good ground.

For the antenna www.thunderpole.co.uk do a 2 metre antenna called the sirio Hi Power 4000 or maybe the orbitor at 1.5 metres.Although they advice mag mounts I suspect they would probably fit a mirror mount.

Any advice please

Duane
                      www.hamradio.co.uk

Have a look here these guys understand the radio side of things a lot more in detail than the average CB dealer they do a very good triple magmount that even the heavyiest aerial on it would not pull it off the roof. But if you have a spare wheel hanger on the back that is the most convenient place to site a mount. I have recently replaced my 239 mount for some low loss LDV coax which has a very thin section ideally suited to go through doors without getting squashed by the door. With all HF installations you can not get enough earth Lynchy does a earth line which is attached at the aerial mount to which you then bond to the chassis there are cheaper methods but you pays for what you get.. One of my radios has the facility to use a magic aerial that can electrically tune itself from 7Mhz to 433Mhz and to this you do need to have as best an earth that you can. Mag mounts on their own on HF are not the best solution as they work on capacitance as opposed to a direct bonding to earth..Your average CB aerial uses a 3/8 thread where as most of the good amateur aerials use 259 mounts the later giveing the better conductivity and on top of that if i need to change band all the aerials are made to the same standard. This also gives me the advantage of when i sit on the Yorkshire moors with a kite antenna up i can use the mount as a means of getting the aerial into the car and staying warm...

Ive attached some pics of the mount i use and its flexibility with my 6 band HF to UHF aerial on it also i have the adapter to use the US 3/8 aerials as well. you will see the thin feeder which increases to better quality feeder inside the car all of this is low loss coax.On this mmount i do occasionally use a 9ft steel whip on HF mobile so it is a strong system.
                      Attached Files

Comment

www.hamradio.co.uk

Have a look here these guys understand the radio side of things a lot more in detail than the average CB dealer they do a very good triple magmount that even the heavyiest aerial on it would not pull it off the roof. But if you have a spare wheel hanger on the back that is the most convenient place to site a mount. I have recently replaced my 239 mount for some low loss LDV coax which has a very thin section ideally suited to go through doors without getting squashed by the door. With all HF installations you can not get enough earth Lynchy does a earth line which is attached at the aerial mount to which you then bond to the chassis there are cheaper methods but you pays for what you get.. One of my radios has the facility to use a magic aerial that can electrically tune itself from 7Mhz to 433Mhz and to this you do need to have as best an earth that you can. Mag mounts on their own on HF are not the best solution as they work on capacitance as opposed to a direct bonding to earth..Your average CB aerial uses a 3/8 thread where as most of the good amateur aerials use 259 mounts the later giveing the better conductivity and on top of that if i need to change band all the aerials are made to the same standard. This also gives me the advantage of when i sit on the Yorkshire moors with a kite antenna up i can use the mount as a means of getting the aerial into the car and staying warm...

Ive attached some pics of the mount i use and its flexibility with my 6 band HF to UHF aerial on it also i have the adapter to use the US 3/8 aerials as well. you will see the thin feeder which increases to better quality feeder inside the car all of this is low loss coax.On this mmount i do occasionally use a 9ft steel whip on HF mobile so it is a strong system.

Tryin to turn your surf into a Tram...3rd piccie looks like your going to connect upto the overhead lines
                        Gaz

Comment

Working...
                        X