oily question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oily question

Can anybody tell me the diffrence ( if any) between hypoid gear oil and standard gear oil.
    I only ask as I've read some conflicting specs on diff / gearbox oil.
    I've just serviced my '95 2nd gen 3.0td auto with ADD and filled rear and front diff and transfer box with hypoid EP90 gear oil - and now think I've dropped a b0ll0ck by using same oil in all three.
    Any advice?
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Originally posted by jaky cakes
    Can anybody tell me the diffrence ( if any) between hypoid gear oil and standard gear oil.
    I've just serviced my '95 2nd gen 3.0td auto with ADD and filled rear and front diff and transfer box with hypoid EP90 gear oil - and now think I've dropped a b0ll0ck by using same oil in all three.
    Any advice?
    Hypoid is the smelliest oil in the world - and sticky!

The diffs have the correct oil - also for 2nd Gens diff oil goes in the transfer case.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62

There you go

EDIT - BTW I suppose I should also say - never put engine oil in a gearbox - the gearbox will break very very quickly - gearbox oil is special stuff!
    Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 6 January 2007, 21:38.
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Does it matter that I have used a single or monograde oil ie 90 rather than multigrade 75-90 oil?
      Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Does it matter that I have used a single or monograde oil ie 90 rather than multigrade 75-90 oil?
        Yikes - me on my 5th beer - brain not func func work

Read the label - if it says its OK for the application then it'll be OK - ? i HOPE

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo

Read the label - if it says its OK for the application then it'll be OK - ? i HOPE
          5th beer by this time? You'll be well oiled yourself before the nights much older!
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

good man keep it up!!

thanks for the email will be getting the silicone piping next week so i can get it all fitted might have to give you a call . thanks again
            it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy
              good man keep it up!!

thanks for the email will be getting the silicone piping next week so i can get it all fitted might have to give you a call . thanks again
              Hehe - Linda had a go earlier bout stuff - so I took her out at 4.30 to the best real ale pub in wales - she drove home - bless her - hence the beer

now into g&t's - life's good

off roading tomoorow in bristol - can't wait

ref intercoolers - pm anytime pleased to help

Comment

Catchin up fast Andy...

Finished the last of the Christmas beer, just moving on to 15 year old Dalwhinnie.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                  Catchin up fast Andy...

Finished the last of the Christmas beer, just moving on to 15 year old Dalwhinnie.
                  Tried to do that last night = NEARLY THERE!

Hope all's well in sunny Malvern!

Comment

Tried to do that last night = NEARLY THERE!

Hope all's well in sunny Malvern!
                    Apart from the 'sunny' bit yeah. It's been chuckin it down all day. Had to go get stuff for the kitchen today so had a quick scoot around Upton / Defford looking for floods. The 'road closed' signs were up but only about 6" or so.

Got more kitchen to do tomorrow (grouting).

For a play day outing in future when DIY is done, what do I need in terms of recovery kit? A chap I work with offered me 6 metres of (bright orange!) 3" webbing when I told him I might go off to Bristol on Sunday. Anything else?

Comment

Any advice?

Hypoid gear oil is gear oil with an anti-scuff additive required for hypoid (offset) style ring and pinion gears.
                      Don't put in the auto transmission though!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                        Hypoid gear oil is gear oil with an anti-scuff additive required for hypoid (offset) style ring and pinion gears.
                        Don't put in the auto transmission though!
                        Hehe, I thought Hypoid was a trade name

DURRRR... ME FICK...

Comment

Any advice?

Mine (2nd gen 3.0lt) has a sticker on the front diff saying use 75w90 grade 5.

This also goes in the transfer box. EP90 in the rear diff and red ATF in the main gearbox and steering box.

Comment

Working...
                          X