Window Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Film

Yes I know I have just put this on the joke forum! I need to replace the window film on the rear window. Easy enough to get the film but shifting the old stuff isn't. I have peeled off the film which has left a residue. I don't want to s$$$$e it off as it may damage the HRW and I have only just fixed this while the window was out. I am thinking of using celulose thinners but has anyone had any experience of this or any suggestions please.

I used a steamer the type you use for removing wallpaper.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

soapy water worked for me.

i also found that it was handy to fool the tailgate into thinking it was closed so I could bring out the window more than it normally would come out, just got a mate to support it. this allowed me to get the level of the lining below the rubber seal so it doesn't catch on the way up or down without having to take the window out completely. bit of gaffa over the length of the window secured it too.
      I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

Not done any on the Surf but when I've done it on other cars I've found that meths fetches the glue off a treat, also leaves a really clean surface for the new stuff.
        Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paulh
          Not done any on the Surf but when I've done it on other cars I've found that meths fetches the glue off a treat, also leaves a really clean surface for the new stuff.
          ditto. exactly what i did.
          i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Got to re-do mine soon, got some limo black film from Screwfix for £7.
            It's quality stuff, not like you get in the 'baseball cap worn at a jaunty angle' type motorists shops.

and it's a dark brown tint not purple like the limos have, so it will match my side windows too!
            result.

I'll be taking the glass out to apply it though, as I'm gonna give to tailgate a complete clean out, waterproof and re-grease.

I'll take step by step photos so that anyone wanting to change or repair their tailgate window motor will have a reference..

Comment

It's quality stuff, not like you get in the 'baseball cap worn at a jaunty angle' type motorists shops.

Hehehe
              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try the meths first as it is not as severe as celulose. Good about the screw fix and much cheaper than the local motor shop. As for catching, this was exactly what had happened to mine, the bottom inch or so had ruckled up so I'll make sure that the next application goes lower than the seal.

Comment

Working...
                X