Lighting expertise requested fog lamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting expertise requested fog lamps

I'm thinking of fitted some front fog lights on the Surf... I am torn between the standard rectangular fog light (say 10x6 cm) or I have seen these tiny circular fog lamps (approx 4cm diameter). Are these small lamps any good or are they a novelty. thanks

PS found a reasonable supplier of lamps
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150076224607

Back in the day Baby

Originally posted by Vultch
    I'm thinking of fitted some front fog lights on the Surf... I am torn between the standard rectangular fog light (say 10x6 cm) or I have seen these tiny circular fog lamps (approx 4cm diameter). Are these small lamps any good or are they a novelty. thanks

PS found a reasonable supplier of lamps
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150076224607

They do work well, but under bumper driving lights on a 4X4 is a little pointless to be honest, especially if it's been lifted. I have four lights similar to those on my truck roof, and are brilliant at illuminating the counrty lanes.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      They do work well, but under bumper driving lights on a 4X4 is a little pointless to be honest, especially if it's been lifted. I have four lights similar to those on my truck roof, and are brilliant at illuminating the counrty lanes.
      Roof lights are doubtless excellent for driving lights to give general illumination, but for fog lights in particular, they need to be as low as possible (which can of course be a problem on a lifted truck ). This is because a properly designed fog light is designed to illuminate the road surface and verges by projecting its beam below the fog which generally hovers some inches above the ground. Raising a fog light too high will cause the beam to be reflected back to the driver in the same manner as normal lights. Similarly properly designed fog lights will have a distinctive beam pattern and must be mounted to correct way up to ensure the beam is directed downwards rather than up.

For driving lights and spotlights higher can be better, whilst for fog lamps lower is better. In both cases there will generally be legal restrictions as to the max and min heights of the various classes of lights too.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Excellent chaps... thanks

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Try using "Pin" or pencil beam spots mounted as low as you can get them. I've always found they tend to give better illumination and less dazzle than fog lights.
          If at first etc? Find a BIGGER HAMMER!

Comment

Working...
          X