TonyN / Mechanics advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TonyN / Mechanics advice please

Not surf related i know but your thoughts / advice would be greatly apprecieated, It's concerning my sons girlfriend's car which is a Peugeot 206
    GLX W reg, the engine management light came on and she took it to a pug dealer in Portsmouth and after pluging it into their machine it reccomended new coil, plugs and leads, the car was running and starting fine, no probs, just the light!, for this they charged her best part of £300, £75 of which was the coil, they said it was now fine, she pay'd and two days later the light came back on, on phoneing them she was told she would have to pay for the test again, They took it back today and got a call an hour later to say the ECU needed replaceing and that would be another £500 plus lab etc, I went with them to pick it up and confronted the manager who was very nervous and a bit shaky, He's telling me now that sometimes the coil breaking down can
    "spike" (his words) the ECU unit, i put it to him that i think their takeing advantage of a young girl who knows nowt about engines, and in fact robbing her, doing unnessicery work (if in fact they have done it, i cant tell at a glance as like most newish cars all the HT, plugs etc are covered in a plastic boxing, and could'nt see anything that resembled a coil),
    The cars running / starting fine so what do you guys think? have they had her over
    Is there any way of checking the works been done?(thinking of an AA check or something)
    Is this bloke comeing out with b0ll0cks or what?
    He did'nt charge her for the test today when i said i was takeing this further and getting in touch with tradeing standards if i found out he's ripping her off,
    Dont think he expected a big hairy dad in law turning up with her, thought he was on to some more easy money, All i wanted to do was drag his rat face across the desk and nut the teeth out his head, but that would only queer things for her if she takes any action against them,
    Sorry this has gone on a bit but it really grips my $hit when these "big name"
    garage's try it on, surly if the coil, leads and plugs were u/s it would'nt have run too well, also the plugs were replaced (?) on a recent service by the same sodding garage, The guy could'nt produce any serieal or part numbers for the replaced parts and was a bit reluctant to give me his name,
    Any thoughts on this, thanks Ian
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

had this with a lass at work...bought a pug 206 gti and had nothing but problems with the electrics...eventually the garage changed the car and she still ended up avin problems with this new car until finally they agreed to do the work for free [under guarantee]
    Gaz

Comment

I'm afraid there's no warranty on this one, but as i said its running fine, just the light on constantly

Comment

Check the engine earth strap at the engine end as this has caused the engine warning light to come on with no fault with car . High resistance on the bolt .No signs of slow turning over or anything . Done a couple for this fault before .
        Hope it is the fault .
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
          I'm afraid there's no warranty on this one, but as i said its running fine, just the light on constantly

Take the bulb out then sel the car !

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
            Take the bulb out or tape the light up

Management lights could mean anything, when tested the fault code tells then what is wrong, but often there is more to come once the first fault code is fixed. I used to be a mechanic and we had to leave the parts replaced in the car or let the customer see them. Ask for the old parts, after all they are yours .... but I bet they will say that they have binned them!

Good luck
            Life on the edge is short, but the view is great !

Comment

Originally posted by Paff
              Take the bulb out or tape the light up

Management lights could mean anything, when tested the fault code tells then what is wrong, but often there is more to come once the first fault code is fixed. I used to be a mechanic and we had to leave the parts replaced in the car or let the customer see them. Ask for the old parts, after all they are yours .... but I bet they will say that they have binned them!

Good luck
              Hi Paff yep thats exactly what he did say, they've binned em,

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                Check the engine earth strap at the engine end as this has caused the engine warning light to come on with no fault with car . High resistance on the bolt .No signs of slow turning over or anything . Done a couple for this fault before .
                Hope it is the fault .
                Cheer's Rick, i'll check that out, I hope thats what it is too,

Comment

just ask for a receipt showing their diagnosis of the problem and the work carried out.

i find the lean on the counter and huff and puff a bit usually helps to convey the look of anger... it can be tricky with my comedy face!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                  X