where's the oil going??? Tony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where's the oil going??? Tony?

I have used what looks like about 1/2 litre in 300 miles or so since the oil change a few weeks ago.

No exhaust smoke, no evidence of oil in the coolant (toyota red - still red with no film on it) and no apparent weirdness from the engine. I've had a quick look for leaks but there doesn't seem to be any on the ground. There is what looks like oil residue towards the back of the engine around the (rocker?) cover but that may have been there a while. Any clues?

Tony, I'll be in touch early in the new year to sort out getting the gaiters changed. Perhaps you can look it over while I'm there.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Andy, did you dip it to check the level before you had turned it over after the oil/filter change, as you would have put about 1/2L into the filter once you had started it up. If not, ain't got a clue.
    Mike G

Comment

Half a litre? i am amazed you can even tell its used this amount as on my surf the 2 marks are only about 30MM apart and half a litre which is about a pint as you know, would be very hard to spot.

How do you tell?

Al.
      I used to have a surf me!

Comment

OK, might be a bit more than half a litre. It's gone from 2/3rds the way up the dipstick marks to about 1/3rd up, and I checked it after it had been run.

Perhaps I'm being paranoid and need to fill to top of dispstick marks and see if it changes over the weeks.

I suppose if there was a gasket leaking at the top of the engine it would burn off due to the heat rather than show as a patch of oil under the car as it would more likely be coming out under pressure rather than just leaking.

Comment

and you would smell it! The filter takes at least 1 litre to fill it up.

Comment

Are you checking it in similar conditoins each time? It takesa while for oil to run back to the sump, if you check it in the morning before its been run one time, then after its been running another there will be significantly different levels on the dipstick.

See you in the new year.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              Are you checking it in similar conditoins each time? It takesa while for oil to run back to the sump, if you check it in the morning before its been run one time, then after its been running another there will be significantly different levels on the dipstick.

See you in the new year.

While I have your attention...

If I fit my ATF cooler ready for connecting, can I book in an ATF change while I'm there? Checked it out yesterday and it's brown and stinky. How much would I need to do a full change (ie pump it through the torque converter)?

So, thats :-

both boots on drivers side drive shaft
              ATF change
              diff oils?

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                While I have your attention...
                Sorry, logged out and went shopping!!

We can sort it out OK, I have ATF by the 25lt drums!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                X