Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice for first time buyer

Hi everyone,
    Ive always fancied owning a surf but made the big mistake in buying an explorer instead.BIG mistake. I now have the urge and permission from my wife to go buy a surf. This is where it gets complicated. I know nothing about them and need loads of advice.I only have about 2 grand to spend and would like an economical auto. I need to know what to look for,bad bits etc.(we all got to start some where) I would prefer to buy from an enthusiast so if you have one for sale you could also contact me.Thanks in advance,Mick

Hi Mick and welcome, another insomniac eh! all i can say is use the search facility on here for any specific questions to see if its been covered before (usually has) apart from that you may pick up a half decent 2.4 for around
    one and a half to two and a half grand, ask about the head, some have problems with cracking when overheated, and many have been fitted with a
    modified head when this has happened, other than that do all the useual checks you'd do with any car, try the four wheel drive on some rough ground if possible, (not for any lenght of time on tarmac as the diff can run up and lock), if at all possible spring for a 3lt as they are better power wise than the 2.4's and not much difference in MPG, Whichever dont expect a high MPG,
    summat around 20 -25 is about normal, (unless you get a V6 petrol)
    Ian
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...t=27331&page=2
    Here's one
    Last edited by POPEYE; 26 December 2006, 03:53.
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Hi mick,

Dead right about the explorer. we used to have one in the clan and it was awful.

Timing tensioner problems and shocking electronic problems were always the norm.

Anyway, you have seen the light now.......2K int a right lot TBA, I can see your interest in buying from a forum member to help ensure you are not getting some old rubbish.

Depends on what you want it for.........after the explorer the 2.4 will seem like a milk float in terms of performance but it won't break nearly as often. 3litre will be better for you if you can find one in your range.

the 2nd gens all suffer with rear window problems (mine did) but can be fixed for modest outlay, starter motor contacts fail (mine did) and on standard (unlifted) 2.4's they are a B I T C H to fix due to lack of space. Cabin heater fan switch and fuel guage often go without explanation (mine did) and the headlights are like candles. Water pump seals fail and drop coolant out overnight (mine did) Ask the seller if the glow plugs have been changed as they will be knackered otherwise (mine were)

Of course, the car was 13 years old and so none of the above is really anything to be surprised about. If the car had been a ford,or worse, some French car it would have spent the whole 4 months of ownership being fixed.

In general, they are great cars but you will have little problems with an example in this price range that could end up costing you quite a lot more money.

Al.
      I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala

2nd gens all suffer with rear window problems (mine did) but can be fixed for modest outlay, starter motor contacts fail (mine did) and on standard (unlifted) 2.4's they are a B I T C H to fix due to lack of space. Cabin heater fan switch and fuel guage often go without explanation (mine did) and the headlights are like candles. Water pump seals fail and drop coolant out overnight (mine did) Ask the seller if the glow plugs have been changed as they will be knackered otherwise (mine were).
        I think you're generalising a wee bit here- because your Surf may have suffered the above problems doesn't mean they ALL will!

Rear windows- most problems are due to lack of maintenance. A yearly clean and lube is essential.

Get the 3.0L if you can afford one. Ecconomy is about the same as the 2.4L (around 25mpg) but the power difference is well worth the premium.
        Last edited by laser_jock99; 26 December 2006, 11:20.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
          I think you're generalising a wee bit here- because your Surf may have suffered the above problems doesn't mean they ALL will!

Rear windows- most problems are due to lack of maintenance. A yearly clean and lube is essential.

Get the 3.0L if you can afford one. Ecconomy is about the same as the 2.4L (around 25mpg) but the power difference is well worth the premium.

The points I mentioned have been discussed on this forum many times, this makes them worthy of mention. It does not imply that I feel they will ALL happen to every surf although some of them WILL.

So there!

Comment

Have to aggree, i've had non of the problems Al has had and i aint been big on maintainance, it's allways something i got to get round to! (touch wood)

Comment

hi Mick if you can get 3k then there is a very good 3l down this way and it's a forum members.Its well looked after and i think Rob had is serviced at the same place as i have my truck done.Take a look in the foe sale section.If you want a hairdressers wagon then there's a 3rd gen for 3600
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                hi Mick if you can get 3k then there is a very good 3l down this way and it's a forum members.Its well looked after and i think Rob had is serviced at the same place as i have my truck done.Take a look in the foe sale section.If you want a hairdressers wagon then there's a 3rd gen for 3600
                Comes with free shampoo and set

Comment

HI Mick and welcome
                  got agree with the others a 3 .0L is better ,have had a 2.4 and although good the power difference is amazing. and now I will get bullied and the p$$$ taken but,,,,, I gotta stick up a bit for the explorer I have one ,(ok so it's up for sale but) had it 2/3 years and is faultless. timing chain done etc
                  but power/ comfort and it goes anywhere I just wanted a diesel motor and the surfs are good so it has to go. Easy to work on ,spares easy to get . they look good , hold thier price , what more could you want, ,,,,happy surfin

Comment

Pay no attention to the hairdresser comments I am amazed they can still type after s$$$$ing their knuckles, I would go for the 3 Lt if you can find the extra cash you wont be disappointed.

Comment

2k can get you a 2.4 with a fixed head
                      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27331
                      www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

as everyone has mentioned the 3.0l is the one to go for,but if you do go for the 2.4 and it has had the head replaced make sure you get the necessary paperwork,if not walk away.theres plenty of choice all be it a little more than 2k,but also some bargains to be had under that too,happy hunting.
                        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
                          2k can get you a 2.4 with a fixed head
                          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27331
                          Has Toyney got two of em then

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                            Has Toyney got two of em then
                            As far as i know its still not sold

LAST POST http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...2&postcount=18
                            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Can I first say thank you all for being so welcoming and giving me the benefit of all your respective knowledge. I must admit that at the time, I bought the explorer, because everyone else was into jeeps and I wanted to be different.The only difference i achieved was paying ££££££,s for a new engine and cat. Apparently the engine died on the operating table while suffering from a misfire(the reason it was brought into FORD AT HIGHBURY CORNER,ISLINGTON LONDON ,but im not bitter) They said it "Suffered a fatal trauma" Bet no ones heard that one before? Anyway, back to the surf.The general opinion seems to go for a 3ltr. Is that diesel or petrol? Does the problem head occur in diesels or petrol. If im showing too much ignorance please let me know.I really cant go above 2grand,being honest, I have to think about tax.ins and all that legal stuff which is fine because I do prefer the looks of the early shape (1st gen?) I'd better go now or else iwill still be going on into the wee small hours again.Thanks again and keep the advice coming. Mick.

Comment

Working...
                              X