Anyone a plumber ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone a plumber ?

I am thinking of changing from the motor trade to the plumbing one . All I here is there is a need for plumbers . Anyone on here a plumber and can say that it is a good move as a career change? Or am I just looking at wasting time and money on a course that will lead no where ?
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

I think it's overstated. A lot of people who trained as plumbers are going back to other work now. It was a bit of a fad a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
      I think it's overstated. A lot of people who trained as plumbers are going back to other work now. It was a bit of a fad a few years ago.
      I have to agree with Sancho, to make good money you need to be corgi registered, and believe me that aint cheap, on average to keep up with all the regulations and training it will cost in excess of a grand a year, plus the time away from earning money while your on courses, bin there, done that, got the T-shirt, now moved on
      If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

there was once a lot of money and work in the plumbing game - but now the trade is flooded with people doing the same - so earnings have dropped and work is very competative.
        Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes
          there was once a lot of money and work in the plumbing game - but now the trade is flooded with people doing the same - so earnings have dropped and work is very competative.

Well they obviously don't work in our area. Jon tried phoning a few earlier this month and not one returned his call, one did arrange to come out and quote us for a job but couldn't make it and he hasn't called back either.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Jotto
            Well they obviously don't work in our area. Jon tried phoning a few earlier this month and not one returned his call, one did arrange to come out and quote us for a job but couldn't make it and he hasn't called back either.
            still plenty of cowboys as well
            Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
              still plenty of cowboys as well
              And Ingines aint there Dave lol

Comment

I can't believe you can get plumber through the swear word filter when you can't get c$$t or wan$er! After all they all mean the same!
                Get the impression I don't hold plumbers in high regard!!!
                Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Piker
                  I can't believe you can get plumber through the swear word filter when you can't get c$$t or wan$er! After all they all mean the same!
                  Electricians are the ones I have a slight aversion towards.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Piker
                    Cheers Martin lol

Comment

Can I hi-jack & ask the next obvious question if plumbing isn't a good idea, how about training as a sparky, been thinking about that for the past few weeks with Part-P certification etc.

Alan...

Comment

From what little I know, site labourers and brickies seem to be about the most
                        sought after at the moment, due to the rate they're throwing houses up.

Comment

a thought for anyone who is thinking of taking up one of these trades is to consider what impact the flood of cheap labour will have. We are hearing that the Eastern block countries have "experienced and qualified trades people who are entering Britain and undercutting our own. Good news maybe for the home owner but not so good for anyone in that trade. I have a friend who owns a building company and he makes no bones about the fact that he will retire much earlier by taking on cheap labour. For what he pays a migrant worker, his previous employees will not get out of bed for.

So, my opinion, plus with all the easy fit systems in DIY stores, the plumbing trade as we knew it is going down the

Comment

Most skilled trades are going or have gone that way. My trade went to a large
                            degree quite a few years ago with the advent of pathetically priced electronic
                            equipment. Most engineers I know have either retired or found some other
                            vocation. I just decided to persist in a niche area.

Comment

What was your trade Matt?

Comment

Working...
                              X