Vaseline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaseline?

Sorry, didn't get a reply to this in the electrical section...

I got into the tail gate today and found both my HRW wires loose, rattling around at the bottom. They must have snapped of the plugs years ago. I've replaced and re-fitted and ran the RHW for a while without any apparent effect. Is it possible that the fuse has gone? The light comes on on the switch, if that makes any difference.

Before I put the tail gate back together should I try and protect the new connections? In the UK I would have various options, would a lump of vaseline do it? Any other household product that might offer some protection?
    Surfin' Swiss Style...

If the wires have been sat in the bottom of the door then there is every chance that they will have earthed and blown the fuse so that is the first thing to check.
    If still no go then it will be a break in the flexible tubing that goes in at the bottom of the door.
    Oh and yes, the vaseline will do fine! As the actress s..............you know the rest
    Last edited by paulh; 19 December 2006, 11:19.
    Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Ski_Extra

I got into the tail gate today and found both my HRW wires loose, rattling around at the bottom. They must have snapped of the plugs years ago. I've replaced and re-fitted and ran the RHW for a while without any apparent effect. Is it possible that the fuse has gone? The light comes on on the switch, if that makes any difference.

Before I put the tail gate back together should I try and protect the new connections? In the UK I would have various options, would a lump of vaseline do it? Any other household product that might offer some protection?
      Except that it will melt in the summer! Blue tack or silicone sealant might be better?
      Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Piker
        Except that it will melt in the summer! Blue tack or silicone sealant might be better?
        Normal silicone will corrode the connections over time.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF

Comment

Silicon! Excellent. I happen to have just finished the shower and have the gun in my hand... perfect. Top tippin'.

Thanks.
            Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Piker

Anyother handy household substances? Or just leave them bear?
              Surfin' Swiss Style...

Comment

Get the stuff from Maplin designed for potting. That will be fine.

Some silicones will be OK. Aquarium sealant for instance will probably be OK. Doesn't contain the (acetic?) acid that bathroom sealant does.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I guess you could tape them, or glingfilm them before you silicone.

Comment

You can get silicone specifically for electrical connections, or any silicone
                    which doesn't have the vinegar smell should work. Epoxy resin will reinforce
                    as well as seal. H.T sealant spray. You'll be able to get that from any motor
                    factors. It's the one used for sealing petrol ignition systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                      Get the stuff from Maplin designed for potting. That will be fine.
                      He's in France?

Comment

Originally posted by Ski_Extra

The rear demister won't work unless the window is closed!

Comment

He's in France?
                          Le Maplin?
                          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Les Maplins
                            Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                            Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                              Les Maplins