Question for those that have fitted roof rails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for those that have fitted roof rails

Did you have to drop the roof lining? If so how and is it fairly easy.
    Did you have to strengthen the roof under where the rails fix?
    Can one use the fixings that expand thereby not having to remove
    the roof lining?
    Trust your Hound.

have you got a sun roof? they gets right in the way... i did two, same day! and its easier to drop the lining and use proper bolts, than to use them expanding bolt thingies
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
      have you got a sun roof? they gets right in the way... i did two, same day! and its easier to drop the lining and use proper bolts, than to use them expanding bolt thingies
      Yes I have a sunroof does this cause big problems?
      Trust your Hound.

Comment

You need to seal around the bolts as well SILICONE or something.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

it just makes it a bit more fun... there is a tray that the glass slides back into, and it just seems to always get in the way.. nothing that cant be overcome
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

it just makes it a bit more fun... there is a tray that the glass slides back into, and it just seems to always get in the way.. nothing that cant be overcome
            How does one overcome this problem? Does the tray come back the same distance as the width of the glass or further. Sorry for all the questions but I may try fit some tommorrow and the weather dont look too good so if I can get all the answers before I start it would help.
            Trust your Hound.

Comment

drop the head lining out, (i left it attached along the top of the windscreen cos it was too much hassle..) then you can unbolt the tray (only the back 2 bolts either side) then drill and secure the rail, then bolt it all back up. before you drill the holes, put the drill bit through a cotton reel or similar so it only drills the roof, and not all the insulation underneath. do use silicon on the bolts, and big washers to spread the load. use masking tape to mark it up, and drill (it stops the bit skating)
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

the tray is a tad larger than the sunroof, and it surrounds the glas when the sunroof is open. leave the sunroof shut when you do this so you dont drill a hole in it. dont forget the workmate to stand on!
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

the tray is a tad larger than the sunroof, and it surrounds the glas when the sunroof is open. leave the sunroof shut when you do this so you dont drill a hole in it. dont forget the workmate to stand on!
                  Thanks very much for your help otherwise I could have been
                  Trust your Hound.

Comment

and take lots of pictures! i forgot, and it will be easier next time someone asks!
                    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesins
                      Did you have to drop the roof lining? If so how and is it fairly easy.
                      Did you have to strengthen the roof under where the rails fix?
                      Can one use the fixings that expand thereby not having to remove
                      the roof lining?
                      You don't have to drop the roof linning.
                      I bought a bar from ironfly.
                      It came with clinch nuts ( sort of expanding steel rawl bolts) that fit from the outside. saved me hours of work by not removing roof lining. and the are plenty strong enough to cope - I carry a 8ft by 3ft roof box fully loaded.

here's a couple of tips which have served me well in the past.
                      don't bother trying to accurately measure your roof for bolt holes, simply apply1 or 2 layers of masking tape to the general area. line up the bar by eye and then firmly press the bar feet down into masking tape. The bolt holes on the feet leave a small impression on the tape in exactly the right place.

Also don't rush the drilling. start with the smallest drill (diameter) you have and make a carefull pilot hole. Then swap for correct size drill and set it as far into the chuck as possible ( or use the cotton reel trick) - that way if drill does "snatch" - there is less of it to go through your roof lining!!! -AND drill very slowly for the same reason - so you can stop drilling in time should it "snatch".
                      plenty of black silicon around the mounts. don't worry about it ouzing out - it comes off very easily with white spirit.
                      hope this helps - and good luck.
                      measure twice - cut once!
                      Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

i bought a set of these about a month ago

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-ROOF...QQcmdZViewItem

not fitted them yet, but they are quite meaty. i thought the ironfly ones didnt look to strong. thats a good buy as well as i payed £65 + p&p, typical.

and you dont need to remove the head lining to fit them.

cheers scotty

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
                          i bought a set of these about a month ago

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-ROOF...QQcmdZViewItem

not fitted them yet, but they are quite meaty. i thought the ironfly ones didnt look to strong. thats a good buy as well as i payed £65 + p&p, typical.

and you dont need to remove the head lining to fit them.

cheers scotty
                          no, you dont HAVE to remove the head lining, but the top down fixings arent all that strong, and as i said the gubbins for the sunroof is right in the way...
                          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

[QUOTE=Chillitt]no, you dont HAVE to remove the head lining, but the top down fixings arent all that strong, and as i said the gubbins for the sunroof is right in the way...[/QUOT

should have sayed, i dont have a sun roof thankfull.

cheers scotty

Comment

me either... dreadful things...
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X