Pondering snorkels...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pondering snorkels...

After playing in floods tonight and getting significant amounts of water round the headlamps...

Plus, I was thinking it might be an easy entry method for the cables from my roof lights...

I was wondering, where does the water go if you're driving in heavy rain? Wouldn't it go down the pipe and bugger your turbo?
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

It has some form of shroud on the top, like the Safari or the mushroom like
    your favourites, L.R, and you've still got the air filter housing as well.

Comment

The Safari Snorkle actually sucks in alot of water in the heavy rain, But the air filter housing has a little one way valve in the bottom to let moisture out...
      The Safari Snorkles are the best but a little pricey.

Comment

The snorkel heads also have a drain in them
        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
          The snorkel heads also have a drain in them

Mine don't, here you can see the underside...lol

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/at...1&d=1165476302

Comment

Originally posted by gavman
            Mine don't, here you can see the underside...lol

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/at...1&d=1165476302
            sorry should have said safari snorkel heads

The gaps at the bottom act as a drain as i had to work out

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...t=guess+making
            Last edited by Woodzie; 7 December 2006, 10:09.
            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

i was in contact with a safari snorkel distributer and asked same question
              they suggested thaty some turn the head round to point backwards in times of heavy rain etc
              Landcruiser Colorado
              Sub. Forester

Comment

Looks like there is a market here for a U bend type snorkle!!!! MMMMMMM or is that S bend!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Toylux
                  Looks like there is a market here for a U bend type snorkle!!!! MMMMMMM or is that S bend!!!!
                  Was thinking about that, but then I got to wondering about the suction when your turbo gets onto full boots. It would sck and water from anywhere along the tract so i doubt bends ot traps would cut the mustard.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

We had some of the heaviest record breaking rain ever a few weeks ago and i drove for over eight hours into the rain, I did check the air filter the next morning and it was bone dry...

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                      Was thinking about that, but then I got to wondering about the suction when your turbo gets onto full boots. It would sck and water from anywhere along the tract so i doubt bends ot traps would cut the mustard.

RRRR agreed, I was thinking more about the driving rain when cruising down the motorway, Turbo would be at low preasure...... Mind you we should ask if anyone has had a problem with the standard type snorkle as maybe we are just trying to avoid something that may never happen??? Anyone?? Any problems? Intrested as im think of fitting a snorkle Tooo!

Comment

Originally posted by Toylux
                        RRRR agreed, I was thinking more about the driving rain when cruising down the motorway, Turbo would be at low preasure...... Mind you we should ask if anyone has had a problem with the standard type snorkle as maybe we are just trying to avoid something that may never happen??? Anyone?? Any problems? Intrested as im think of fitting a snorkle Tooo!

The outlet is on top of the filter housing and the turbo sucks clean air from the middle of the filter, which is sealed top and bottom in the housing, which has a drain hole on the outside of the filter anyway.

To be honest I can't see any water being sucked into the turbo at all!

Comment

Theres enough snorkeled trucks wizzing around the UK, if it was a problem someone would have mentioned it.
                          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

agree with tony,

i've had my safari snorkle fitted for about 2 years now, with the top of it pointing forward, and never had any probs.

and being in scotland i do drive in the rain now and again, in fact cant remember the last dry day we had come to think of it.

cheers scotty

Comment

What's the problem??

Water injection ups the power, doesn't it!!
                              It just does, OK?

Comment

Working...
                              X