Another advantage of driving a Surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another advantage of driving a Surf

Despite owning a fair number of cars capable of speeds in excess of 130- 140 mph and several fast bikes I’ve somehow managed to keep my licence free of any extra points other than the 3 that I was awarded 25 years ago for speeding in a VW Beetle…

However things have changed a lot since then with “tax” cameras springing up all over the place and it is so frustrating owning a sports car and not being able to “use” it….

The good thing about owning the Surf is that it is enjoyable to drive while still sticking to the speed limits…. you still get a sense of speed by virtue of it’s size.

On motorways I just set the cruise control to its top limit of just over an indicated 65 (actually a true 70 mph). I don’t see the point of going much faster and using even MORE fuel. For those who say they cruise at 80 – 90 mph in their 2 gens., I’d like to ask can the 2.4 diesel actually hit 90 and if so aren’t you revving its nuts off?

The Surf is also one of the few 4 door vehicles that looks good and does not give the impression you are driving the family hack or a rep-mobile.
    Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

I've never been faster than 80mph in mine, 'cos I can't see that far into the future to know when to brake!

Comment

Originally posted by PDR
      Despite owning a fair number of cars capable of speeds in excess of 130- 140 mph and several fast bikes I’ve somehow managed to keep my licence free of any extra points other than the 3 that I was awarded 25 years ago for speeding in a VW Beetle…

However things have changed a lot since then with “tax” cameras springing up all over the place and it is so frustrating owning a sports car and not being able to “use” it….

The good thing about owning the Surf is that it is enjoyable to drive while still sticking to the speed limits…. you still get a sense of speed by virtue of it’s size.

On motorways I just set the cruise control to its top limit of just over an indicated 65 (actually a true 70 mph). I don’t see the point of going much faster and using even MORE fuel. For those who say they cruise at 80 – 90 mph in their 2 gens., I’d like to ask can the 2.4 diesel actually hit 90 and if so aren’t you revving its nuts off?

The Surf is also one of the few 4 door vehicles that looks good and does not give the impression you are driving the family hack or a rep-mobile.
      A 2.4 will do 90. Once. I drove to the Alps in my old 2.4 at about 85 all the way and absolutely toasted it.

I do like the whole surf cruising thing and (might as well get it in) the V6 is so nice and quiet compared to the 2.4 at speed.

Comment

Originally posted by PDR
        I’d like to ask can the 2.4 diesel actually hit 90 and if so aren’t you revving its nuts off?
        Mine can. Only done it once though. Still had more to go but I chickened out. Motor sounded ok but I didn't want to push my luck. Regularly do 75 MPH (120KPH) though.

Nev

Comment

I took my 2.4 to France last year. It quite happily drove at (or above ) the 130kph limit all day (or night as it happened), except up the steep hills and bridges (the one over the Seine at Le Havre is awesome http://www.arcaid.captureweb.co.uk/z...code=8245-20-1).

However, generally I stick to 65-70 mph, and just take it easy.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

That is an awesome bridge.

And those are some cracking images of it...

Comment

Went over that bridge on my bike this summer and it is excellent if a bit unnerving on a motorcycle.

Comment

So did I had cam corder going as well.

Hang on lost me star and pic, paid subs a while back whats up?
                Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

Snap, well the wife saifd she did from her bike. Thought a later bridge looked like one from scalelectric

Comment

Originally posted by PDR

Did you get points 25 years ago ? Im sure I remember getting things called " endorsements " but maybe that was 35 years ago. When did points rather than endorsements start making prizes? I remember getting 3 in 1985 so theyve been around for 20 yrs at least, but for priors I have memories of endorsements and 2 pound fines. At least I cant remember the guy in front with the red flag, but I beleive we,ll see that back soon if our car hating gov and councils get their way

Bogus
                    Сви можемо

Comment

Had my 2.4 @ 93, so said my GPS

Comment

Originally posted by PDR
                        For those who say they cruise at 80 – 90 mph in their 2 gens., I’d like to ask can the 2.4 diesel actually hit 90 and if so aren’t you revving its nuts off?
                        Linda's 2nd gen (3.0TD though) is reving at just under 3,000 at 80 with its 4.88 gears and 33" tyres. Its loves this speed and will purr away all day. In fact it generally feels 'right' and smooth at about 85, and you find you're always backing off to keep to a more respectable 70-75.

With the original 4.10 gears we where pulling 2,250 at 80mph, which was fantastic for MPH on a flat smooth road, but it was a little tall for general driving and we found having to squeeze the throttle more to compensate for the taller tyre robbed us of the benifits of the low revs. Now its just about perfect. At a steady 70ish, it does 300 miles to a tank full, around town and faster motorway speeds its about 250-270 miles.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

IM NOT EVEN GOING TO BOTHER PUTTING A POST HERE.
                          well.it is badged as a 2.4
                          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
                            IM NOT EVEN GOING TO BOTHER PUTTING A POST HERE.
                            well.it is badged as a 2.4

www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

I was doing 90 according to the speedo when my rear o/s tyre blew out. I kept the truck under control but there was a big bill for the valet company to clean the drivers seat! Now I keep to 75 MPH max.
                              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                              X