locking brakes..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• locking brakes..

I have found that I am locking up front disks in some conditions at the moment, and getting a bit of skid up to roundabouts etc... mind you, it frightens the bejesus out of the boy racers

TonyN did the breaks a few months ago, but it hasnt been too wet / greasy since then so I have not locked them till now.

So, question is, how do I tell if my breaks are set correctly? Are the front disks taking too much of the force? should I be getting a bit more rear break action?

answers on a post card please

P.S. by the way apache and co, how was the curry night? I would have turned up except I was out climbing rocks down Gloster way with the boyz.
    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

It could be the LSPV (load sensing valve) on the rear axle.

The valve may be stuck and all the braking force is 'sent' to the front wheels.

Remove the two bolts in the pic and make sure the rod moves up and down (as indicated) freely and that the plunger under the rubber gaiter at the other end where all the brake lines meet is moving in and out.

Also, if you haven't been using your handbrake much lately, pull it on a few times (don't put your foot on the brake pedal though) to automaticaly adjust the rear brake shoes.
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 5 December 2006, 15:41.

Comment

You could have a sticky caliper, if one of the pistons starts to stick in its bore, the pads won't release properly, so next time you stomp on the brakes that pad hasn't got as far to go so hits the disc sooner and causes the wheel to lock up.

Or has been mentioned the rears could not be working properly.

Check your tyre pressures as well, if they are different each side it'll do the same.

Can't remember what we did to your truck, was it just pads or did we change anything else. I've unsiezed 3 or 4 calipers lately for people, it normally works for a while but replacment is normally the end result if they stick again.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by legendgamesmaster
        I

P.S. by the way apache and co, how was the curry night? I would have turned up except I was out climbing rocks down Gloster way with the boyz.
        Curry night was good. Food was really good and the boys were going well on the Cobra. It was also the inauguration of the SURF WIVES CLUB. More about that later.

Probably a good thing you were in Gloucester as it would have got very confusing for me with Apache (Andy), Thelovelyboyo (Andrew) and you (another Andy) as well.
        Mike G

Comment

Working...
        X