front suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front suspension

erm guys i was just wondering do you think i can raise the front of my truck just by turning the torsion bars,i was just concerned,the truck lifted about three inches on the front when i swapped over to the v8,am i liable to do any damage to the suspension in trying to level it up with the rear.i think it needs to go up a further 2 inches.on the front to make it level or is there a better way of doing it.remember no front axle so im not worried about shaft angles just unsprung weight.
    www.overfab.uk

Originally posted by vatchman
    erm guys i was just wondering do you think i can raise the front of my truck just by turning the torsion bars,i was just concerned,the truck lifted about three inches on the front when i swapped over to the v8,am i liable to do any damage to the suspension in trying to level it up with the rear.i think it needs to go up a further 2 inches.on the front to make it level or is there a better way of doing it.remember no front axle so im not worried about shaft angles just unsprung weight.
    I think if you go up much further you'll be on the bump stops with no suspension left.
    How about ball joint spacers
    If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

THe T/bars only have finite amount of give in them, to high and it behaves oddly over bumps, try an uprated (thicker) bar like we have on the Bullet.

Ball joint spacers would help, but the front will get very narrow with to much lift as the wishbones pivot in, you might have trouble aligning it.

Just keep going till things start to get odd...
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

thats what i thought,but im looking for an easy solution.or not so easy solution.basically what can i do?
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          THe T/bars only have finite amount of give in them, to high and it behaves oddly over bumps, try an uprated (thicker) bar like we have on the Bullet.

Ball joint spacers would help, but the front will get very narrow with to much lift as the wishbones pivot in, you might have trouble aligning it.

tony do you think the truck looks odd from the rear like the front is to low.when you were behind me last night.
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Nah, I like a pert behind....

It looked OK to me.

Comment

Nah, I like a pert behind....

It looked OK to me.
              ok so just wider tyres then and leave it at that,its just when you said my truck was all shocks you got me thinking.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

I thought the front would get narrower, but my wheels still seem positive cambered despite winding up the torsion bars 2" or so. It's not noticeably narrower though.

There's nothing for it though, now I've got something 4" - 5" higher I am gonna have to wear out my tyres quicker and get some 33's on there!
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                  I thought the front would get narrower, but my wheels still seem positive cambered despite winding up the torsion bars 2" or so. It's not noticeably narrower though.

There's nothing for it though, now I've got something 4" - 5" higher I am gonna have to wear out my tyres quicker and get some 33's on there!
                  so did you wind up the front to level it out with the rear.(your on l/c springs arnt you apache)have you noticed any strange things in steering or suspension.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

so did you wind up the front to level it out with the rear.(your on l/c springs arnt you apache)have you noticed any strange things in steering or suspension.
                    Yes, LC springs. The front is about 1" or so lower than the rear (measuring under the wheelarch) but looks fairly level overall now it's settled. No funnies noticed regarding handling. Had to fit overlength shocks on the back but the fronts have been fine.

Comment

Yes, LC springs. The front is about 1" or so lower than the rear (measuring under the wheelarch) but looks fairly level overall now it's settled. No funnies noticed regarding handling. Had to fit overlength shocks on the back but the fronts have been fine.
                      ok thanks guys,i might go and have a tinker and see if i can raise the front up an inch or two.
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

ok thanks guys,i might go and have a tinker and see if i can raise the front up an inch or two.
                        You might get the lift with less turns on the bars I s'pose as you've got less weight there. Cake and eating it!

Comment

If deffo make a small change, when we first fitted Linda's 33's I hadn't fitted the front half of the 4" suspension lift, so had the torsion bars wound right up at least 3". Now with the lift fitted, I wound the t/bars down and now the front tyres poke out from the wheel arches where they didn't before.

The caster and camber shouldn't alter much, as both wishbone pivot together, the the toe in/out gets messed up, as the tierod need to shorten as the wishbones pivot down,

Comment

If deffo make a small change, when we first fitted Linda's 33's I hadn't fitted the front half of the 4" suspension lift, so had the torsion bars wound right up at least 3". Now with the lift fitted, I wound the t/bars down and now the front tyres poke out from the wheel arches where they didn't before.

The caster and camber shouldn't alter much, as both wishbone pivot together, the the toe in/out gets messed up, as the tierod need to shorten as the wishbones pivot down,
                            Would the fronts tend to toe in with higher lift? I ask because since the lifts been finished, the front tyres dont seem to wear their inner edge as much as they used to!

Comment

Lifting the front exaggerates toe out.

If you havn't had the tracking done since doing, I'd strongly recommend it, or you'll be buy new tyres alot!

Comment

Working...
                              X