laquer missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laquer missing

hi my surfs paintwork is good except 4 areas 2 either side it looks like where roof bars were .laquer is missing
    question is can laquer be blown in to patch up and could i do this with spray can of laquer?
    ex Burgundy 2.4 owner

To patch up laquer is a little bit dodgy as the laquer is applied to the base coat colour as it 'flashes off' ie is still wet to help adhere . Generally it is best to re laquer the entire panel to guarentee a good job as the edge of missing laquer can be 'live' and cause further lifting in the future . I would suggest getting a 'Chips away' company to view and give you an opinion as to whether they can do 4 local blow ins to fix it . These some times last a few years and look better then the DIY job .
    Hope this helps

Rick
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

If you want to spray clear laquer over the top it will be ok, but you will need to 'feather' the edge where the laquer is missing, use fine 'wet-n-dry' about 480 then whatever next is finer, 1000/1200?, (sorry its been so long since I did diy spraying), to carefully feather the edge down without cutting into the base coat. Then use 'T-Cut' on the whole area to remove any scratch marks from the wet-n-dry paper.
      Apply the clear laquer as a light, semi dry coat, thats about 12" away with most cans and add as many coats as it takes giving it a few minutes between coats untill the centre of the job is clear (thats the area you wanted to cover) without enough laquer to make it run.
      Dont worry about the 'over spray' or 'orange peel' effects at the edges.
      Let it dry overnight then attack it again with the 'T-Cut', you will be amazed at the depth if you do this right.
      If it runs, dont worry, just wipe it off and start again from the spraying stage with slightly less on each coat.
      I resprayed my old CB900FA petrol tank that had the laquer worn away by my knees this way and it looked absolutely brand new!
      Try it, its for nothing almost.
      ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

cheers just what i needed your a gent
        thanks alot Rudi
        ex Burgundy 2.4 owner

Comment

Working...
        X