santa's bringing me a mig welder!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• santa's bringing me a mig welder!!!

santa (AKA mrs jaky cakes) is getting me a mig welder for crimbo - which I haven't bought yet.
    Anybody recommend / rule out any make / model? _ looking at £150 - £250 mark. for general, occaisional use.
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Originally posted by jaky cakes
    santa (AKA mrs jaky cakes) is getting me a mig welder for crimbo - which I haven't bought yet.
    Anybody recommend / rule out any make / model? _ looking at £150 - £250 mark. for general, occaisional use.

I would go for some thing like this
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-MIGMATE-PR...QQcmdZViewItem

It all depends on what you want to weld really

or this
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SIP-MIGMAT...QQcmdZViewItem

or there's this
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-COSM...QQcmdZViewItem

I could keep going, It really doe's depend on how much you will use it and for what.
    If you think I might be able to help any more give me a ring
    07740 337153
    Jon
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Thanks for that Jon.

I've been looking at these on ebay, and they seem quite a bargain - or just cheap!?
      I read somewhere that the SIP Cosmo welders their wire feed/torch leads are prone to jamming up and could really do with a slippier liner (teflon/PTFE coated???)

Comment

Thanks for that Jon.

I've been looking at these on ebay, and they seem quite a bargain - or just cheap!?
        I read somewhere that the SIP Cosmo welders their wire feed/torch leads are prone to jamming up and could really do with a slippier liner (teflon/PTFE coated???)
        If you can get one with a euro torch as they can be easier to get spares for or replace.
        I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

I have a

Machine Mart

which for normal home use is fine, suppose it depnds what you are intending to use it for.

Alan...

Comment

erm... depends what you're using it for...

no good for industrial all day welding... but for occasional use then the odd jam sticky liner isn't really a problem

we got a SIP welder (dunno what one, but it's quite big) it's fine.
            (might be talking bolox, cos it's not in my garage... i think it's a SIP)

the paint compressor's a SIP, it's great, just a little noisy
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I'll be using it mainly for knocking up brackets, mild steel, 5mm thick / garden trelis/gates / car body embelishment and generaly fannying about. I'll not be using it for prolonged periods

Comment

I'll be using it mainly for knocking up brackets, mild steel, 5mm thick / garden trelis/gates / car body embelishment and generaly fannying about. I'll not be using it for prolonged periods
                god thing with a SIP is, if it breaks on a sunday, you can pop in halfords and get parts

they do all the nozzles, liners, gas, etc.
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

DON'T get a gassless one. If you're welding up 5mm, get at least a 150, higher if you can afford it. As soon as you get it, junk the regulator provided & don't even think about the disposable bottles. Get a propper regulator & an account with BOC or some other supplier & get 'real' size bottles. I've got a MigMate 130 & it works fine but I really wish I'd gone for the 150 now as the 130 struggles a little on thicker steel. Fine for 3mm & below, though. Just do a google search & you'll come up with masses of suppliers, if you go for a recognised name like SIP or Sealey, you won't go far wrong.

Comment

I have one from machine mart (151ENB) £199 Dual purpose ie. gas or gas less you just have to buy the regulator and gas all other fittings come with it. I can recommend this model but as has been said gas is easier (not as much splatter).
                    Trust your Hound.

Comment

I have been running a Sealey supermig 195 for 6years without any problems at all, do your homework on 'proper' gas bottles though, some rentals are a bit high, it is also an advantage if you can run the big reels of wire, .6,.8+1.0mm, a euro torch is also a good idea for spares etc as is an automatic mask.
                      burn that metal
                      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                      Tony

Comment

well i've just bought myself (or rather the wife has bought me) a mig welder.
                        Its a gas/gasless Cosmo 170 turbo fan cooled mig welder. capable of welding upto 6mm mild steel (apparently).
                        best of all - it was cheap as chips - from B&Q £150 !!!
                        Checked out hafords and machine mart then went to B&Q who were offering a 20% reduction.
                        The only snag is, being a high power welder - it does not come with a standard 13a plug. It will require either hard wiring into mains via 15amp breaker - or some kind of industrial 240v high rated plug and socket.
                        Also now require a proper bottle and regulator.
                        I can't wait until crimbo....i may have to ahem try it out first - just to make sure it works
                        before she wraps it up and sticks it under the tree!

Comment

Working...
                        X