Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bypass bog roll oil filters

Always heard these were cr@p. Seem to be getting some conflicting info on
    them, though. Anyone any ideas how well, or if, they perform? Links to a couple
    of types below:

http://www.kleenoil.co.uk/index.htm
    http://www.wefilterit.com/products.htm

i removed the round magnet from an old audio speaker and stuck that onto my oil filter.you would be surprised how much metal particles are in your oil.it seems to keep the oil a lot cleaner.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Regarding the magnetic filter, someone on the aus site removed the magnates from old hard drives and tape'd em round the surf's filter and he reccons they work quite well, a cheap trick if it works, they appered very strong as he posted a pic of one with several metal tools hanging from it
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Have you stripped an old filter down to see how much it's catching? Must
        admit, I saw something about this with the filter magnet a while since and
        was wondering how good a job it did. (It's my once a year oil mod thoughts
        time again. )

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
          Regarding the magnetic filter, someone on the aus site removed the magnates from old hard drives and tape'd em round the surf's filter and he reccons they work quite well, a cheap trick if it works, they appered very strong as he posted a pic of one with several metal tools hanging from it
          Those magnets out of the H.D's are horrendously strong. Eldest lad had one
          in his pocket a year or two since and got stuck to the neighbours car when
          he went to get his football off their drive.

Comment

HeHe, how'd ya get him off, aparrantly the hardest part is removeing em from the drives, (and then getting em off the old filter i'd guess)
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Could you not just buy one of these?
              It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                Have you stripped an old filter down to see how much it's catching? Must
                admit, I saw something about this with the filter magnet a while since and
                was wondering how good a job it did. (It's my once a year oil mod thoughts
                time again. )
                i have to admit i havnt cut an old filter in half to see whats in it.but you can tell by the weight of it when you change it.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                  Could you not just buy one of these?
                  The sump plugs work, but only for particles that pass or settle close to the
                  plug. The filter magnets are actually in the full oil flow path, which is why they
                  should be more effective.

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                    HeHe, how'd ya get him off, aparrantly the hardest part is removeing em from the drives, (and then getting em off the old filter i'd guess)
                    Fortunately he was wearing tracksuit type bottoms with those baggy pockets,
                    so I had something to get hold of to pull it off. He was stood away from the
                    car with his pocket six inches to his left stuck to the wing.

Getting them out of the drive isn't too bad 'cos they're on a couple of metal
                    plates which make a frame for them and hold them apart. If they happen to
                    slip though, it's painful fingertips and swearing. Getting them off the filter
                    shouldn't be too bad 'cos you can slide them off fairly easily. If you tried to
                    pull them off, however, you'd need fingers like steel.

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
                      i have to admit i havnt cut an old filter in half to see whats in it.but you can tell by the weight of it when you change it.
                      Fancy doing a finger chopper next time you change the filter then? Think
                      I might actually give this magnet thing a whirl. It's easy enough for even me
                      to manage to fit it.

Comment

matt
                        i used kleenoil filter system fitted to a daf 95 12 ltr hgv
                        it was fitted when i bought it
                        to be honest with you i didnt think much of it when i noticed it was fitted but the mechanic who serviced the truck said they were very good at extending the oils life therefore oil changes could be less frequent
                        i used it for 18 months till i sold the truck and never had any trouble at all
                        food for thought though is that a millers oil rep told me that by using long life oil in the first place does exactly the same thing ie:- less oil changes = less downtime = less servicing costs
                        at the end of the day................ it gets dark

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                          Fancy doing a finger chopper next time you change the filter then? Think
                          I might actually give this magnet thing a whirl. It's easy enough for even me
                          to manage to fit it.
                          yea ok matt next time i do a filter change.ill chop it in half and post the pics on here.it may be some time though.
                          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy
                            matt
                            i used kleenoil filter system fitted to a daf 95 12 ltr hgv
                            it was fitted when i bought it
                            to be honest with you i didnt think much of it when i noticed it was fitted but the mechanic who serviced the truck said they were very good at extending the oils life therefore oil changes could be less frequent
                            i used it for 18 months till i sold the truck and never had any trouble at all
                            food for thought though is that a millers oil rep told me that by using long life oil in the first place does exactly the same thing ie:- less oil changes = less downtime = less servicing costs
                            That's good to know. The one area I always thought they would be a problem
                            would be down to the papers natural tendency to mulch, which might make it
                            actually put cr@p into the system. Couldn't have been too bad if you were
                            running with one for that amount of time though. Did you use OEM filters, or
                            just bog rolls in the Kleenoil filter unit?

I heard that about the fully synth's, (reading up again the other night).
                            Apparently, the composition is so strictly controlled, the oil itself literally
                            can't gunge up. It still picks up a lot of crud from the engine itself, though.

Cheers for that info. How you getting on with the Fuelcat, by the way?

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
                              yea ok matt next time i do a filter change.ill chop it in half and post the pics on here.it may be some time though.
                              To save you a trip to A&E, , found the following page, (again), which gives
                              it a thumbsup.

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

It's also started me off thinking about pre-lubers again. Bugger.

Comment

Working...
                              X