Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice needed about importing

I am looking for a hilux surf.
    I would be happy with an older one 91-93 2.4 TD.
    A bit worried about the stories of cracked heads.
    I live in Ireland and was thinking of importing one direct from Japan.
    I see a number of Japanese exporters on the web who offer to find a hilux that suits your specification.
    Has any members gone this route?.
    Any info on exporters. How much and how long is shipping?
    Does any of the older models come with ABS?
    Any advise would be appreciated.

Originally posted by patzx12
    I am looking for a hilux surf.
    I would be happy with an older one 91-93 2.4 TD.
    A bit worried about the stories of cracked heads.
    I live in Ireland and was thinking of importing one direct from Japan.
    I see a number of Japanese exporters on the web who offer to find a hilux that suits your specification.
    Has any members gone this route?.
    Any info on exporters. How much and how long is shipping?
    Does any of the older models come with ABS?
    Any advise would be appreciated.
    Patrick,
    Don't have any personal experience or this, altough I very nearly went down this route earlier in the year. The savings can be substantial compared to the prices most Irish dealers are asking especially on newer models. If you are worried about the cracked heads go for a 3.0 version, they're not immune to the problems, but so far appear to be a far, far safer bet, additionally the economy is the same as the 2.4 but you would certainly notice the difference in power. Shipping to Dublin takes around 6-8 weeks if memory serves me correctly. I don't think ABS was an option till after '93 (Standard from '96).
    The only personal experience I'm aware of with regard to the direct imort route is a mates, work collegue who imported a Mitsu FTO a few years back. He used www.bestjapancar.com where he dealt with Patrick. I know he was very impressed with the car, spec, price, service etc etc.
    Most heads seem to go within a very short time of arrival, one friend of mine had hers blow within 1 month of importation. (remember if you import an early 2.4 and the head goes, you have no warranty to claim on).
    Having said all the above, early surfs can usually be picked up fairly reasonable on the Irish market, and if its been here a while chances are that any head problems will have already occured and been remedied. If I were looking for a 2nd Gen Surf as you are, I would check the Irish market first.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Importing has its pitfalls, but as Maurice said, the savings can be huge. The least I would budget for a good clean 2nd gen in Ireland is about €10 to 11,000. Try for as high a spec as possible. 3rd gens start a around €16 - 17,000.

If you can go commercial you will not have to pay VRT, so even more can be saved. Just remember if importing from the UK, you will pay VRT and the exchange rate, but if you import from Japan, you will pay VRT, exchange rate, customs duty and VAT!!! Customs duty and VAT add up to about 31% of the purchase and shipping price.

May be easier in the long run for you to buy from Ireland or the UK.

Good Luck with your purchase

Comment

Thanks guys,
        I live in Connemara and I know bugger all about 4x4,s but I saw some Hilux surfs on ebay and I really got my attention.
        If I can get a good one for under €10,000 this would do.
        I Definitely want one with all the toys.
        When you are daydreaming about a new toy it is good to discuss with people in the know.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
          Also I see surfs on the Fingals/Ashbourne rd on the LHS not far out of Finglas LHS ........
          I'd be very wary about that place, I posted on the old forum about them, but the message is no longer there.

A friend bought one there against my advice, very expensive and very untidy. It had hand panted sections, cracked chrome, several dents on both bodywork (some rusty) and bumpers, dirtiest engine I've seen in years, bald tyres, some damage to interior etc etc, within weeks the rad blew, followed by the head. Repairs done by the dealer have included epoxy resin to cure rad and a second-hand head. It has since developed rear suspension problems.
          To date (about 3 months since purchase) it has failed the NCT 3 or 4 times, yet the dealer is still dragging his heels about sorting things out, just as well the purchase deal included the passing of the NCT.

Nasty Cars, smart arsed staff, terrible aftersales, dodgy repairs and plenty of lies.... and a '91 SSR-X all for €9000..... ouch! Man is she sorry she ever bought from there !
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Just found this thread. Interesting. I know it's an old thread, but for what it's worth to any prospective Irish buyers, here's my experience... I drove by a few weeks ago to see if he had any Surfs - none. Very little at all, in fact.

I did test drive a 90-ish Surf from him back in late 99, but my Toyota mechanic uncle who was with me said the suspension was shot and the turbo was leaking. We left it alone and I bought a good 92 Disco privately for a grand less.

A couple of years later, I tried an early 90's Prado from him - it was like the interior had been used as a kennel or something - manky, smelly. It drove really loose and had a list to one side. I left it alone too, needless to say.

He was barely interested in acknowledging me both times, more interested in joking with his staff and smoking at me.

If you're lucky enough to know someone who knows what they're looking at, you'll do okay private or dealer if you bring him/her along, but if you assume that a dealer will look after you, you might be stung, as I would have been if I'd trusted that dealer...
            :

Comment

Working...
            X