Surf Paranoia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf Paranoia

I’ve been reading my way through countless posts on this site since I bought my Surf last month and have found myself getting paranoid, which is not like me at all.

I find myself checking the oil and coolant levels every few days, looking to see if I can spot any drips from the exhaust and constantly scanning the gauges on the dash for the first signs of trouble.

I had a real bad cold when I picked up the Surf which really affects my hearing…. now that it is back to normal I find myself wondering if the engine sounds rough at all… or is it just down to the fact that I am driving the vehicle harder than when I first bought it. I’m probably looking for faults that aren’t there.

Well I’ve done about 180k in it today which was a combination of City traffic, A-roads and Motorways. All the gauges read as they should, nothing has fallen off it and it has not gone “bang”………

So I think it must be OK

Cruise control is great on the motorway. Auto gearbox and power steering make it so easy to drive and the seats are comfortable.

Yes, I’m happy with my Surf (I think)
    Last edited by PDR; 11 November 2006, 21:48. Reason: add text
    Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Checking my coolant every day at the moment....loosing about a litre a week somewhere.........

Comment

Originally posted by PDR
      I’ve been reading my way through countless posts on this site since I bought my Surf last month and have found myself getting paranoid, which is not like me at all.
      It'll pass. It's like a Surf ownership initiation. A few months from now, you'll
      have changed to worrying about what you cocked up with that last 'I really
      did need it' modification you did to it.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
        Checking my coolant every day at the moment....loosing about a litre a week somewhere.........
        Thats a sneaky one, by the sounds of it. No visible egress points?

Comment

V6 petrol. Pah! You should try owning a 2.4 Diesel. The first three years is the worst.

A litre a month. Have you done the usual - changed rad cap, checked for porous top/bottom hoses and rubber hose from thermostat housing to expansion bottle. It could be that water is going into the expansion bottle and air is being sucked back because of a microscopic pinhole. It is the sudden throwing up of water when the engine is cold that you need to worry about.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99

Check the rubber gasket/seal on the rad cap. Mine was torn and I was loosing the same amount 'cos the cap wasn't sealing against the neck of the thermostat housing.

Comment

Paranoia

Hi Paul the V6 engines are quite good, OK l had to put another engine in that one you have but the previous owner in Japan had run it dry of oil and completely nakered the old engine, while l had it l had every conferdence in it l dont know what the person l sold it has done with it but it was a vehicle l would go anywhere in. STOP GETTING WORKED UP OVER IT.
              Live Life To The Full

Comment

Thanks for the advice Bob, I’m sure you are right.

I guess reading all these tales of woe has caused me to worry a bit. My previous Toyota (MR2) gave me no trouble at all and sailed through its last MOT. I’ve used other Japanese 4x4s in Africa without any trouble, so there shouldn’t be any reason for this one to be any different.

Oh, and thanks for taking the time to answer my various e-mails. Thanks to you I have been able to put together some history for this Surf. Did you sell it on E-b@y in the end?

I’ll probably be looking for some new tyres after the New Year and want to stay with AT’s

I do like this Toyota and hope to keep it for a long time yet.

Cheers, Paul
                Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Working...
                X