Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to become a surfer!

Hi

This is my first posting and I need some help on selecting a surf. I dont own one (yet!), and I really want to get one, but I have no idea what I am looking at or for. I really need a dummies guide to surf's and I have looked around the forums for a similar thread, but cant seem to find one (but thats probably me being the dummy!).

So far from what I have read, the 2.4's dont have as good consumption as the 3.0l and the heads have a habit of going wrong (unless fitted with the upgrade). Also the 4WD shouldnt be used except in the rain/snow/off road as otherwise it destroys the gearbox. Apart from that, the surf's seem to be pretty much bomb proof. Does anyone have any words of wisdom they could share with me please or things to look out for when buying one? Also does anyone have the tech specs for the various models and what the differences are between the different models? Any ideas on the cheapest place for insurance?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks very much

Originally posted by gregwho
    Hi

This is my first posting and I need some help on selecting a surf. I dont own one (yet!), and I really want to get one, but I have no idea what I am looking at or for. I really need a dummies guide to surf's and I have looked around the forums for a similar thread, but cant seem to find one (but thats probably me being the dummy!).

So far from what I have read, the 2.4's dont have as good consumption as the 3.0l and the heads have a habit of going wrong (unless fitted with the upgrade). Also the 4WD shouldnt be used except in the rain/snow/off road as otherwise it destroys the gearbox. Apart from that, the surf's seem to be pretty much bomb proof. Does anyone have any words of wisdom they could share with me please or things to look out for when buying one? Also does anyone have the tech specs for the various models and what the differences are between the different models? Any ideas on the cheapest place for insurance?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks very much
    hi greg and welcome.the only differance really in spec is the ssrg which has the recaro seats.it all comes down to what you want to spend aswell.
    take allok in the forsale section as there are some good 3.0l surfs at a good price.basically look for everthing you would do in any motor,make sure everything works and check out the 4wd all works ok
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Welcome aboard. Follow the thread to find the answers....

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=22581

On insurance, try Lifesure, A-Plan, Adrian Flux, Footman James and a load of others I've forgotten.

The 2.4s have glacial performance too, but they are a lot cheaper than the 3.0s. If you can afford a 3.0, that's the one to go for.

Comment

go for the 3.0 greg havent drove a 2.4 but if you have read enough threads on this forum you will have realised they are under powered,
        look at all the things you would have to when buying any secondhand car ie service history etc , and as richard said the 4wd ,
        good luck in your hunt for a surf
        Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Tried to resist, but no luck. Fuel consumption on the 2.4 and 3.0 litre is,
          apparently, pretty much the same. 2nd gens, only use 4wd on slippery
          surfaces. 3rd gens have a permanent 4wd. Heads. Some 2.4's suffer from
          cracked heads, some don't. Unless the head has been replaced with an
          uprated one, it's pretty much suck it and see. However, some 3.0's have
          suffered head failures as well, so 2.4/3.0 is no guarantee head wise.
          Check electrics are okay, no out of place noises, smooth gear changes
          from auto box, from cold and when warm. After that, the one thing to
          remember when you get one is get it fully serviced. You may get one that
          has been well looked after, or one that hasn't been serviced for yonks. An
          initial outlay on timing belt, all oils, filters, rad cap, thermostat and coolant
          can save you a lot of grief later.

Comment

All righty, time for the petulant bit. (been trying to resist for months). 2.4's
            are not underpowered! If anyone wants something that goes like sh1t off a
            shovel, they shouldn't be buying what is, essentially, a 2 tonne brick, anyhow.
            If anyone wants to tow stupid gross weights behind them, they should always
            go for the beefiest thing they can find, regardless. Gits. Don't listen to them.
            If you want the fastest Surf with more oomph, then obviously go for the 3.0L.
            The fact that it's a bigger engine obviously means it has more power. If,
            however, you want something that generally performs faultlessly, either 2.4
            or 3.0 will serve you well.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
              All righty, time for the petulant bit. (been trying to resist for months). 2.4's
              are not underpowered! If anyone wants something that goes like sh1t off a
              shovel, they shouldn't be buying what is, essentially, a 2 tonne brick, anyhow.
              If anyone wants to tow stupid gross weights behind them, they should always
              go for the beefiest thing they can find, regardless. Gits. Don't listen to them.
              If you want the fastest Surf with more oomph, then obviously go for the 3.0L.
              The fact that it's a bigger engine obviously means it has more power. If,
              however, you want something that generally performs faultlessly, either 2.4
              or 3.0 will serve you well.
              so you chose the wrong engine matt!!!! understandable nearly done the same
              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

The V6 is quicker than the 3.0TD.......

I agree, the 2.4 is not underpowered - it's not like it stalls going up hills or anything. It actually travels quite nicely when you get it rolling......It's just not what you might call nippy, you kind of have to plan ahead, but no worse than a transit.

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
                  so you chose the wrong engine matt!!!! understandable nearly done the same
                  I'm rising above it. I'll resist.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                    The V6 is quicker than the 3.0TD.......

I agree, the 2.4 is not underpowered - it's not like it stalls going up hills or anything. It actually travels quite nicely when you get it rolling......It's just not what you might call nippy, you kind of have to plan ahead, but no worse than a transit.

I had a Transit before the Surf. Surf took over as the business vehicle.
                    The 2.4 is far faster and holds speed better up hills than the Transit ever
                    did. It was only a N/A 2.5 diesel, granted, but that really was like driving
                    a snail. And with regards to traction, don't even get me started on Transits.

The Surf is an absolute god sent after that.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                      I had a Transit before the Surf. Surf took over as the business vehicle.
                      The 2.4 is far faster and holds speed better up hills than the Transit ever
                      did. It was only a N/A 2.5 diesel, granted, but that really was like driving
                      a snail. And with regards to traction, don't even get me started on Transits.

The Surf is an absolute god sent after that.
                      I like the way you can feel the exact point in a transit (around 35) where if you go one mile per hour faster round a gentle corner it's going to lose all grip.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                        I like the way you can feel the exact point in a transit (around 35) where if you go one mile per hour faster round a gentle corner it's going to lose all grip.
                        Cornering abilities ain't their forte, are they.

Comment

Working...
                        X