• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
    During the Winter of 82/83
    cor!!... you're well old!!
    hehehe!!

i was only 5/6 so wasn't allowed to press the buttons unless instructed! (i was the remote control!)
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
      cor!!... you're well old!!
      hehehe!!

i was only 5/6 so wasn't allowed to press the buttons unless instructed! (i was the remote control!)

You think he's old, I can remember when 5/6 was money
      Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Big round of applause from the other guys in the fault report centre and cries of, "You can't half bull$$$$ mate." They didn't believe me either. It's all true, isn't it Mark?
        Not a good idea disbelieving the Hams. Must admit, though, it's one of
        those things that just goes over most peoples heads. The hams I know,
        when they start on regarding weather conditions and distances and the
        like, I usually go into switchoff mode. Even now I just nod my head
        as if paying attention when the modulation/frequency subjects come up.

Comment

Cheers Matt. I think anyone who operates a radio system should at least be taught the of basics of radio propogation. We get so many no-faults at this time of the year. Ah well, the old analogue VHF system is in it's death throes and a brand spanking new UHF Tetra system is coming in. They think that they won't need my kind of experience when it is all replaced and that it can all be maintained by transmission/digital comms guys. The same principals still apply between the antenna port and aerial. Interesting times...................
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Cheers Matt. I think anyone who operates a radio system should at least be
            taught the of basics of radio propogation. We get so many no-faults at this
            time of the year. Ah well, the old analogue VHF system is in it's death throes
            and a brand spanking new UHF Tetra system is coming in. They think that
            they won't need my kind of experience when it is all replaced and that it can
            all be maintained by transmission/digital comms guys. The same principals still
            apply between the antenna port and aerial. Interesting times...................
            You're welcome. I just happen to know that you chaps have a far greater
            understanding of radio waves, frequencies and effects of, than most, me
            included. Disbelieving one of you would be even more stupid than arguing
            proton theory with Vince.

They do that every time some new system comes in, don't they. They think
            the chaps before them will be outdated or out of their depth. Never takes
            long before you can be a complete smug devil with them though. The
            look on their faces is worth a fortune when they realise they still need you
            to sort the real stuff out. New system, new problems, but the old problems
            remain as well, just visible in a different way. They'll learn, one day.

So is that what the Tetra system is replacing, then, the VHF system? Was
            looking at the latest launch and distribution amps last night in one of the
            catalogues, and noticed mention of the Tetra UHF. I'd no idea what it was
            until I saw your post.

Comment

This post is turning into anoraks corner Matt. TETRA, in a nutshell, is a huge highly secure trunked radio system. It is rolling out all over the country and is being used by the Police, Emergency Services, Military old Uncle Tom Cobbley and all. The great thing about it is its flexibility. Police forces will be able to talk to each other, talk with the other emergency services (Fire, Ambulance etc) but it is not possible to listen in with a scanner. You can call one subscriber or almost any number provided the talk groups have been set up.

I can't say much more. I have just had to send off a load of SC, CTC forms and sign the Official Secrets Act. If you don't know what they are you don't need to know..............
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Isn't TETRA the controversial one? I seem to recall reading lots of scare stories about brain tumours / headaches / depression etc that pseudo-scientists are nailing to TETRA.

Mind you, from my days on radar (AR15, Bison, Watchman etc) I remember fielding queries from farmers claiming their sheep were miscarrying because of our AR15 (at a range of 25 miles!!!). They'll do anything for a handout!
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Yep, that is the one. I saw an article in the paper that suggested that one of the frequencies involved interrupted the natural frequency of brainwaves and caused epileptic fits in previously healthy people. It is a shame that they got KHz and MHz mixed up. They were only out by 10- 6 decimal places.
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

Cheers for that info, Phil. I won't be caught on the backfoot if someone
                    mentions it now. At least I can make it sound as if I know what I'm talking
                    about. You can usually guarantee someone will ask you about something
                    you've never even heard of.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                      When the analogue is switched off, they are going to be transmitting digital
                      signals at a higher output. If you're in a bit of an iffy area, however, you'll
                      still be screwed.
                      I thought add my 2 penneth worth, just to be awkward. I can't get freeview where I live, nor channel 5 because were on a ratty little relay station purched on the hills overlooking my house, the jammy Bas****s at the top of the lane get the works because they can see Emley moor in line of sight.... Me I've no chance & wont until 2011. So I'm stuck with Sky..... Or Cable and frankly neither of them are great value for money...... I'd rather spend the £25 on my surf!
                      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Get a flat screen portable and freeview for the Surf. You can sit up on the Moor and watch to your hearts content.
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

[QUOTE=MattF]Disbelieving one of you would be even more stupid than arguing proton theory with Vince. [QUOTE]

Eh? I don't recall arguing over this!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                            Originally posted by MattF
                            Disbelieving one of you would be even more stupid than arguing proton theory with Vince.

Eh? I don't recall arguing over this!

Comment

Working...
                            X