Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2wd/4wd problem

Hi,

I regularly use 4wd on a daily basis both on and off road. Until today I had no bother with it.

I was in 4wd and pressed the button to change to 2wd, the lights flashed and I lost all the gears. The gear lever was moving as normal but no drive forward or back. Lights still flashing. When I pressed the button in again the lights were still flashing and I could move forward and back. Didn't always hear the clunk. Has anyone any ideas as I'm meant to be towing a livestock trailer down south tomorrow.

Jacqueline

Didn't inadvertently move the small lever into neutral did you?
    Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
      Didn't inadvertently move the small lever into neutral did you?

No, it's still in it's usual place.

Jacqueline

Comment

Try putting it into low 4 see if it works then put it back into high 4 or high 2. I've no idea if it will work it's just the way my mind works

Spoggle

Comment

Originally posted by Spoggle
          Try putting it into low 4 see if it works then put it back into high 4 or high 2. I've no idea if it will work it's just the way my mind works

Spoggle
          It works in all the 4wd positions although the lights keep flashing instead of staying green. When I let the side button out there is no drive.

Jacqueline

Comment

sounds like summit is sticking? Check your vacuum pipes!
            What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Yep, I'll get on to it first thing tomorrow. Also wondered - my son cleaned the inside a few days ago - thought he might have sprayed dash cleaner onto the 2wd/4wd button and some has gone in to the electrics?? Could it be that?

Jacqueline

Comment

doubt it mate
                What comes around goes around!!

Comment

usually if you do a few little shunts, back and forth then it will drop in/out...
                  think it just waits till all the oojamiflips are lined up.

but if not, then i'd give a little check uncerneath to check that no plugs etc. have been accidentally disconnected.
                  (it can't be the button, cos it does something just not what you want it to do!)
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

As Matt says, it's either a loose/dirty connection, or a faulty solenoid.

Comment

Surely you should still have rear wheel drive regardless of 2wd or 4wd . If no drive atall it sounds like the transfer box is not giving any drive to rear and the front drive actuator sometimes needs a nudge from the drive train to lock it in and out (like Dirtydogs) . So why no rear wheel drive ?
                      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                        Surely you should still have rear wheel drive regardless of 2wd or 4wd . If no drive atall it sounds like the transfer box is not giving any drive to rear and the front drive actuator sometimes needs a nudge from the drive train to lock it in and out (like Dirtydogs) . So why no rear wheel drive ?

Nothing at all when the button is out and lever in H2 position, just flashing light.

Jacqueline

Comment

so when in 2wd - you rev engine and you get no movement
                          but in 4wd the truck moves
                          is the rear prop-shaft rotating at all when in 2wd and in gear and trying to drive?
                          just wondering if its rear diff or back axle problem
                          Landcruiser Colorado
                          Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
                            so when in 2wd - you rev engine and you get no movement
                            but in 4wd the truck moves
                            is the rear prop-shaft rotating at all when in 2wd and in gear and trying to drive?
                            just wondering if its rear diff or back axle problem
                            Yes, revving engine and no movement in 2wd, but moving in 4wd. I will have to have a look underneath today.

Jacqueline

Comment

Hi, I'm still having a problem with my 4wd. The light on the dash is still flashing. I have tried driving forwards and backwards wiggling the wheel. It used to click in and out almost instantly before. I don't now hear the clunk from underneath. It seems to be in 4wd although the light is flashing.

It is in the local garage at the moment and they are totally at a loss how to fix it.

Please does anyone have any suggestions?

Jacqueline

Comment

Working...
                              X