Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please

I have just been out to move my truck and when i started it (which was fine) I noticed that the battery light stayed on as did the timing belt light and the turbo light and the red, I think, engine warning light!!!

I have been out trying to polish some small scratches out of my windsceen with one of those hand polisher which plugs into the cigerette lighter socket. Does this mean I have just drained the battery or have I knackered something else? Or is it just f**ked?

Please help I have been doing so well with changing oil and filters and other general maintence bits that I have nevered really bothered with on other cars!

TIA Michael
    it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy
    I have just been out to move my truck and when i started it (which was fine) I noticed that the battery light stayed on as did the timing belt light and the turbo light and the red, I think, engine warning light!!!

I have been out trying to polish some small scratches out of my windsceen with one of those hand polisher which plugs into the cigerette lighter socket. Does this mean I have just drained the battery or have I knackered something else? Or is it just f**ked?

Please help I have been doing so well with changing oil and filters and other general maintence bits that I have nevered really bothered with on other cars!

TIA Michael

Have seen on here, loads of warning lights=alternator - could be wrong I aint an expert, someone will be along in a mo with the right answer or confirmation!!
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

Comment

Thats the answer i was not looking forward to thanks for you quick responce

Comment

did you rev the engine once you started it to see if the lights went out
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

TIA Michael

Alternator/charging problem. Check the tension of the belts, tightness of the battery terminals, connections on the alternator.

Comment

not really I drove it out the carpark (outside my house) and parked it on the road only about 60 yards away no great reving as i read here that it can hurt the turbo to rev too much when cold. Should that make a difference and get the lights to go out? have been reading info on here used the SEARCH bar (did you see that da slug man!!! newbee and search bar cooooool!) and looks like it will be the alternator as most of what i read said that their cars were fine then next time they started the lights were on and a new alternator fixed it. My biggest worry, apart from lighting my wallet even more, is telling the misses that i will be working on the truck again and not spending the time with her oops!

Comment

Try using the idle-up button when you're using your polisher.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                Alternator/charging problem. Check the tension of the belts, tightness of the battery terminals, connections on the alternator.
                Tis a bit cold and dark to check tonight but tomorrow i will be on it. in the mean time i will start looking for a new alternator

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  Try using the idle-up button when you're using your polisher.
                  something about that just does not sound right!

Comment

Did you have the engine running when you used the polisher? If not, maybe you've just got no juice left in the battery(s). At least drive it round for a bit and see if the lights go out. If not then, yeah, it's your alternator.

Comment

I would have thought that if the polisher had drained the battery that much then it would not have started the engine! I would take it to a GOOD auto electrician, NOT one of those places that put the 'short it out' battery tester across the terminals to test it, It's always the easy way out 'Oh you need a new battery mate!' only to find that you need an alternator as well!
                      It sounds strange that all the warning lights are on, get them to check earth wires as well as some sensors are switched through the neg (earth) wires!
                      Hope this helps...........

You should have an 'Idle up' switch on the dash somewhere, it raises the idle to around 1200 RPM

Comment

my tinternet went down last night so just got it going again. I did not have the engine running so will try getting it going and hope that it is not the alternator. will check what power my batterie has got first and let you all know. thanks for all your help.

oh and i have a twisting knob wich puts the idling speed up.

Comment

oh and i have a twisting knob wich puts the idling speed up.
                          Crumbs. You must be able to do all sorts with that....

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                            Crumbs. You must be able to do all sorts with that....

lol the misses loves it!

back to the issue been out and had it running checked the battery non-running and it was about 12.48 and then when running and it was the same.

i have a manual that i got from roughtrax which talks me through how to get the alternator off but no pic (i like pictures me) so am only guessing, with my very limited mechanical skill (dad fixes everything so its rude not to get him to help normally but hes away) as to were the alternator is. it looks like it is next to the battery.

do any of you know of an online step by step guide, with helpful pics, that can assist me in my attempt to become mechanicaly independant.

Comment

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/alternator.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X