Ive had my V6 two weeks now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ive had my V6 two weeks now

I have owned my 94’ 3 Lt V6 auto, petrol SSRG for 2 weeks now so thought it about time that I posted a few comments.

It was imported in late January 2005 with 144,000 Kms recorded on its first MOT…
    By its 2nd MOT it had only done an extra 754 Kms. The next owner put some more Kms on it and it now is showing 148,000 Kms with my help.

My previous car was a Toyota and I’ve used plenty of Jap 4x4’s out in Africa so I knew they where good reliable trucks……… reading posts on this forum about all the problems with Surfs / 4-Runners has not been good, so I’ve been looking for faults with my Surf…… Thankfully I have not found any (yet) and all seems to be working well.

Due to buying this Surf from a garage (traded in my Toyota MR2) I was not able to meet the previous owner so I have written to him asking if he knows if the Cam Belt has been changed. Given that the vehicle already had 144,000 Km on the clock at import, I would hope that it has been changed.

Overall I am very pleased with this Toyota, it is nice to drive and I don’t get people trying to cut me up or wanting to race as I did driving the MR2.

The only downside to owning this V6 is petrol consumption. I have done some calculations taking into account that I have 31” tyres and I know by using my GPS the speedo and hence also the odometer is under-reading by 17%. My commute to work and back is along the A41 from the Wirral to the University of Liverpool. There is a section of duel carriage (Rock Ferry By-Pass) with a 50 mph limit but the rest is 40 mph with traffic lights and an absolute crawl through the Mersey Tunnel (auto-box is great for this)…….. so the figure I have come up with is:

17 MPG and that is driving gently! I have not taken it any distance on the Motorway yet but I would hope for maybe mid to low 20’s…. Ok. It guzzles gas, but it’s paid for so unless there is some major failure, it is only going to cost me normal consumables.

Gave it a good clean out last weekend and found a spare key in a envelope with Japanese writing, wrapped in plastic and tightly bound to the rear wheel carrier frame. Also found a weird box of Japanese matches.

I have no plans to do any mods, apart from fitting an ‘A’ or Bull-bar.

Still haven’t got around to taking any pictures due to dark nights etc. But in case I didn’t mention, it is metallic grey and I love the colour.
    Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Those V6's sound sweet . I'd change the belts anyway on any 2nd hand motor just for peace of mind.

Geoff
    Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

I think I may have said this before, but it is a long-established fact that a metallic grey 2nd gen V6 is the best surf ever built. Congratulations on your excellent choice of vehicle.

Fuel consumption isn't of any great concern to us aristocrats of the road but, yes, 17mpg sounds about right around town. You should try driving one round London. I'm sure you can see the petrol gauge moving.

It gets much better on the motorway - somewhere in the low to mid 20s as you say. The only problem I find on long drives in mine is that it gets very hot inside. At first I thought this may be friction on the bodywork from driving at near-supersonic speed, but I have since been told that it's all to do with the exhaust being conveniently located in a stupid, hot-cabin-making place.

If you do a lot of miles, it might be worth getting it converted to LPG. It'll cost a couple of grand, but your fuel will be a third of the price from then on.

Comment

I think I may have said this before, but it is a long-established fact that a metallic grey 2nd gen V6 is the best surf ever built. Congratulations on your excellent choice of vehicle.
        Then Spray it BLUE
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

V6 petrol SURF

please put a photo on this sounds very much like the vehicle l imported myself.
          Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux
            please put a photo on this sounds very much like the vehicle l imported myself.
            It would be interesting to know if it is!

The first two MOTs where done at North West Transmissions Ltd, Kirkdale.

Here are a few pictures taken this morning. I will PM you the full registration in a moment. The second owner is also from Liverpool.

Also, does anyone know what this pink & sliver sticker means:

Regards,

Paul

Comment

id say the green one is cambelt change
              Tim
              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

I think the green label might actually be an oil change label, as there are boxes to tick as to what grade of oil was used!!!!!?????

Comment

The green one does in fact refer to details of an oil change…. It was the PINK / SLIVER sticker that I was enquiring about.

Turns out that this Surf is in fact known to a least one member of this forum and I have been reliably informed that the belts where changed when a replacement engine was fitted. Pleased to hear that

I took it the “long way” home last night down the M53, cruise control set at an indicated 60 (actually 70 mph). Truck ran beautifully.

Cheers Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X