free wheeling hubs on 3.0td surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• free wheeling hubs on 3.0td surf

i am looking to buy a 3.0 td ltd surf i have seen but it has free wheeling hubs on the front.

can anyone tell me why they have been put on? (came from japan like it)

what are the advantages if any? (apparantly expensive to buy)
    can you still use the 4wd switch inside the car?

if not can they be changed back.

best regards

Originally posted by rikkys_villas
    i am looking to buy a 3.0 td ltd surf i have seen but it has free wheeling hubs on the front.

can anyone tell me why they have been put on? (came from japan like it)

what are the advantages if any? (apparantly expensive to buy)
    can you still use the 4wd switch inside the car?

if not can they be changed back.

best regards
    Advantages - they reduce wear on the front diff and half shafts and slightly reduce drag therefore improving mpg (slightly)
    You can use low ratio on tarmac without getting diff windup.

Disadvantage - If you have unlocked them you have to get out to lock them before getting in the sticky stuff.

Mine stay unlocked 99% of the time.
    Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

so i cant just change to hi ratio 4wd in the cab when i'm going along unless i start out with hubs locked?

this was one of the reasons i like the surf because i have had 2 trucks and to get out to do this is sort of defeating the object of buying it.

Comment

so i cant just change to hi ratio 4wd in the cab when i'm going along unless i start out with hubs locked?

this was one of the reasons i like the surf because i have had 2 trucks and to get out to do this is sort of defeating the object of buying it.
        The choice would be yours, if you left the hubs locked you can then control them as normal by pressing the button, but you have the choice of letting them freewheel if you want. Best of both worlds
        If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

If you want to change it back to normal give me a shout I have the bits to do laying around some where
          I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

thanks a lot for all the help, makes me feel more confident i'm not buying something out of the ordinary - has bigger springs and shocks on it which may explain a few things -

looks like i might be buying a surf this week - time to sell the pick up!

Comment

thanks a lot for all the help, makes me feel more confident i'm not buying something out of the ordinary - has bigger springs and shocks on it which may explain a few things -

dont forget the pics
              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Apparently, it's good to fit manual hubs to trucks with big front end lifts as this increases the angle the UJs travel through when rotating. Manual hubs disconnected reduce the wear on the UJs as they no longer turn with the wheels.

If you dont want them, I'll have em and you can have my standard ones!
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                X