Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vatchman
    wow,they must take some looking after.got any pics
    Nothing recent. Yes they do take a fair bit of effort! The jag is up for grabs because we need yet more storage space, but it's not something to take on unless you can stand keeping a single psychopathic fish in a tank on it's own.

They go through a surprisingly large amount of food too, though whatever I find in the garden goes in generally (worms, spiders, woodlice... cats!).
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Slugger
      I inherited some about 6 months back , and all was fine untill last week. The kids kept pestering me to get some more fish , so off we went to the local garden centre where they have a good selection of tropical fish. My little girl liked the neon tetras and as they have good colour to them and the fact that it was buy 4 and get 1 free i thought i would get 8 of them and get two free. All was well the first day , no problems , other fish looked happy with the new arrivals , no fin biting etc. Next morning , got up early to start work, checked the fish and guess what ? only 1 tetra left & lots of discarded corpses of tetras floating about the tank half mauled. After some time i noticed the large angel fish that i have was chasing the remaining tetra all over the tank. The angel fish is the largest fish i have in the tank and looks impressive because of his size , but untill now have never really looked closely at them, the more i study him the more evil he looks, them big round eyes staring back at me , and he even looks miserable . It's strange but now i find myself gazing into the tank and notice that some of the fish do have a certain character about them and get quite mesmorised by them. Infact , i'm now trying to persuade the better half so i - i mean the kids can get a biiger tank !! And yes it so calming to watch.
      Everyone tends to forget that Angel fish are in fact Cichlids and therefore can be quite predatory. They can get quite big too.

I have several tanks going free if you fancy one.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
        I might grab one off you if im passing one time as I want to start my own tank at home. we inherited the one at my girlfriends from her brother and one original fish now 5 years old still lives on but I want to start a tank from scratch really and make it dark with bright plants.

do they have space for lights etc? I dont know a whole lot as the one we have has an all in one pump/filtration system..
        All of mine were used in a fish-house so were used with suspended lighting and condensation trays. You'd need lid / lighting etc (though one I have does have a lid / lights) etc.

I have all sorts of bits (filtration / heaters etc) so if you wanted to pop over I'm sure I could get together a complete set of kit for you for a small beer fund donation!

The tanks I have up for grabs range from 2ft to 4ft.

Comment

Originally posted by mark g8awo
          Someone tellin you Porkies

Once you have done all the prep work its plain sailing in that you keep an eye on the salt gravity and keep on top of the water changes and water conditions it only takes ten mins a day for the primary checks. The bigger the tank the easier it is...

The easiest way to get things to a habitable condition is to put living rock into the system to seed the filters but dont do the fatal mistake in over stocking the system and also a gradual increase of stock otherwise the filters will not cope..Its allways best to have too large a filter than just enough. IE twice what you need.
          My 6x2x2 (the Redhead's home) was originally going to be for a reef system, but when I calculated the cost of the metal halides, the living rock and the corals, I bought a car instead!

Comment

We used to have tropical fish but now we only have Gold Fish for the kids, but we have got two open coal fires, they're great on a cold winters night after work!
            I like Orientals

Comment

[QUOTE=vatchman]heres a few piccys of ours

Can I have the large white one, with chips, peas and a slice of lemon.

Oh and a coke.

Comment

i have 3 tanks at home - 1 with breeding guppies , just a smallish affair

1 jewel 275 ltr housing ciclids and parrots , another in the hallway housing a range of ciclids and parrots also. makes for good viewing

those bow fronted tanks make my eyes go

Comment

I KEEP CHIPS IN THE FREEZER
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

We used to have 2 tanks, one either side of the tv. I used to watch the tanks more than the telly!

One was 4ft, the other 2 1/2ft. Had allsorts in there.

When we moved, and decided to give the fish a break for a while, we sold our prime specimen, a 20'" plec, to our local aquatic centre. He was quite an impressive fish...
                    It just does, OK?

Comment

Used to have 3 tanks

3ft, 2ft and 1ft. The 1ft tank was used mainly as a hospital/breeding tank.

Used to have-

Blue Neon Tetras
                      Mollies
                      Guppys
                      Red-tailed shark
                      loach
                      Angel fish
                      Kissing Gourami
                      Male Siamese Fighting fish
                      Gaz

Comment

hi all, mrs sledge here! couldn't resist replying to this one!!!! we have 2 tanks, one is empty at the moment but it used to house 5 pigmy puffer fish, the other has guppies, mollies, platties and ancistrus! origionally i wanted a marine set up with clown fish and regal tangs but finances and lack of knowledge stopped me so i thought that i'd give tropical a try first!
                        not sure if i'm allowed to put this on here but there's a great forum that has alll sorts of info and chat about tropical and marine set ups and they are a great bunch and very helpful!

if you are interested, here's the link

http://www.fish-keeper.com/Forum/index.php

if i wasn't allowed to do this then sorry and admin will have to remove it for me!

Comment

looks like a good place thanks for th link - link will be cool as long as its not rude/out of order etc etc
                          Tim
                          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

i saw the tank tonight and tried to remember whats in it.... here goes....
                            2 silver sharks
                            1 angel fish
                            1 bristle nosed catfish
                            1 pleco
                            2 loaches
                            2 shrimps (they hide a lot!!! havent seen one for over a week until tonight)
                            1 clown loach
                            3 "little fish that dig around like mad and i dont know the name" (1 is new and has great colourings)
                            5 scissortails
                            2 penguins
                            5 tetras (silver with orange stripes)
                            7 or so neon tetras
                            2 gouramis
                            4 (i think they are called widows?)
                            a few mollies

ill post a pic in a min as i took one especially!
                            Tim

Comment

here u go
                              Tim

Comment

We got these goldfish yesterday as the kids wanted a pet

I quite like them myself too.

Comment

Working...
                                X