another tyre question!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another tyre question!?!

I Know all this tyre stuff can get boring but I do have a question I hope you guys and girls can help with. Well whilst droping my brother off before I started work I had my first ever collision with another car!! I was not speeding (chance will be a fine thing!) or driving dangerously, was doing at the most 15mph and the car in front slowed down quicker than i expected and i pressed the brakes and the front locked up! i did the old pump trick to stop it locking up but I had to make an evasive manoeuvre and ended up cracking her rear light. She was nice enough about it all but it will still cost me.

So to my question at the mo I am running on BFG 31" allterrains and they seem very lively in the wet! Is this an issue with all 50/50 tyres or could the rubber be off? (this is an issue with motorbikes left standing for long periods as I recently had to get a new rear for my vfr 400 nc30). Any one else experenced this? I got my surf to commute when the weather is too grotty for the bike and to sample some offroad driving, so I do want the use of allterrains.

TIA Michael
    it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

mine can be a bit skittish, on the same tyres. i dont really notice it as i have gotten used to it. but when the missus drives it i do remind her its 2 ton on 50/50 tyres. worth leaving a bit of a gap.

hindsight... its a wonderful thing
    TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

BFG's are the best handling All Terrain IMHO, if they are skidding then the any other tyre will as well.

If they are very old they could be hard, or you could have a sticky caliper that causes one wheel to lock up with to much brake pressure.

AT's are usually 80/20 on road bias. You shouldn't be to worried about handling issues in general. but a greasy wet road surface will catch you out if you stomp on the brakes to hard.

I'd just put it down to trying to stop to quick in the wet and learn from the experiance.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Ive got Goodyear AT's on the rear of mine and they are great in the wet! i had Falken AT's on my first surf and they were shocking in the wet!

Comment

Try having my Japan made Dunlop Grandtrecks. They are shocking in the wet. Hit a corner too fast the rear end steps out, pull off at a junction while turning left or right and give it too much juice and the rear steps out, brake hard and she is like being on a skating rink....

I've also heard that BFG A/T's are the best handling A/T tyre there is. That's what will go on my truck when these run out.

Comment

thanks for all your advise i will be even more cautious now. I think it just knocked my confidence a bit so just needed a bit of reasuarance that i should be able to avoid the same situation again. Thanks again! michael
            it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Working...
            X