only the radio and lights etc are working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• only the radio and lights etc are working

So the wife gets in the car and it won't start.
    She's had problems with the steering lock before but we quickly realise that's not it.

I have a look myself.

Ignition on - radio, lights etc ok.

Pre-heat light does not come on and when the key is turned to activate the starter, nothing happens (except the radio and clock turns off for a second).

So there is no noise from the starter but I can here a very quiet click after about 10 seconds that sounds like a relay in the dash somewhere.

Check the fuses, all seem ok but there's nothing plugged into the 'reheat' slot... mmmm.

OK. So no starter and no preheat. Then I notice that the car was stuck Neutral (it's an auto) so I used the red button to move it into Parking but still no luck with the starter.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by deadfamous; 26 October 2006, 14:35. Reason: new info

Originally posted by vatchman
    press the red button down by auto shift and at the same time put it into park
    Yup... I was doing that while you replied....

So does this mean I've got a simple starter motor contact replacement problem?

Comment

has the starter made any clunking noises before,normally a warning that the contacts are about to go,try tapping starter and get someone to turn the ignition key at the same time.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

I don't use it much myself but it did make a noise like that a couple of weeks ago... (too much to ask the wife if she hadn't already mentioned it!!)

Looks like that's the best course of action, after the 'hammer' test.

Thanks,

Neil.

Comment

I have two thoughts, and 1 you will have to trust me on !

1) immobiliser problem
          2) Are your rear lights ok ? (yes I know it sounds silly but some surfs are killed by dead rear lights !

Trev
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
            2) Are your rear lights ok ? (yes I know it sounds silly but some surfs are killed by dead rear lights !

Trev
            not heard that one trev,so what happens,how does this affect the starting.just so i know for next time,cheers
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

It sounds like it's behaving exactly like my 2.4 does when I forget to operate the immobiliser. Which one do you have fitted? You might need to get it looked at.
              Paul </Slugsie>
              Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by deadfamous
                So the wife gets in the car and it won't start.
                She's had problems with the steering lock before but we quickly realise that's not it.

I have a look myself.

Ignition on - radio, lights etc ok.

Pre-heat light does not come on and when the key is turned to activate the starter, nothing happens (except the radio and clock turns off for a second).

So there is no noise from the starter but I can here a very quiet click after about 10 seconds that sounds like a relay in the dash somewhere.

Check the fuses, all seem ok but there's nothing plugged into the 'reheat' slot... mmmm.

OK. So no starter and no preheat. Then I notice that the car was stuck Neutral (it's an auto) so I used the red button to move it into Parking but still no luck with the starter.

Any ideas?

Is everything else working apart from the starter, or are the dash warning lights not coming on etc and ALL that is working is the radio and lights?

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
                  not heard that one trev,so what happens,how does this affect the starting.just so i know for next time,cheers
                  theres a soliniod on the shifter so it only moves in or out of park with the brake on, but if a brake light bulb has gone the current cant get to the shift lock. or something like that
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                    theres a soliniod on the shifter so it only moves in or out of park with the brake on, but if a brake light bulb has gone the current cant get to the shift lock. or something like that
                    ok,thanks for that chillit.ill have to remember that one.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

dont think you will have that problem with yours, vatchman, what with having a different gearbox and all that..
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                        dont think you will have that problem with yours, vatchman, what with having a different gearbox and all that..
                        ive still kept the original toyota shift mech,so it still uses the red button.as i found out when i first tried to start it.
                        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Wife says both brake lights are working ok.
                          Battery charge indicator is up at 75%
                          The alarm/immobiliser appears to be behaving ok (the light flashes to indicate that the operation has reset to immobilised after about a minute).

Oh well. I'll have to give it the 'once over' on Sunday. If anyone can suggest any tests I can do on the electrics to trace the problem I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Neil.

Comment

well the first thing i would do is check that i have a live feed at the starter. and solenoid and check any earth straps,make sure they and not loose.
                            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Even if the immobiliser "seems" to be working propery - try shorting it out of the circuit.

I thought my starter had gone tits up, but a tricky sparky tried that trick and now my vehicle starts every time. Immobiliser no longer works on the ignition but stops all the electrics working unless you stick the thingy in the hole.

Not realy worried as I've got a Mul-T-Lok: Gear Lock which is one of the few things (apart from my Alsatian) that puts your average African car thief off his stroke.
                              @africa4x4cafe
                              [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
                              X