Insurance moan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance moan

Hi, just bought my first Toyota. Its a double cab LN107 with a 2.8 engine.

When i called my insurance they informed me i need a cat 2 immobiliser fitting?!
    Its got no central locking and even the windows are manual but because its an import i have to have it done. Any ideas?

Originally posted by Spud73
    Hi, just bought my first Toyota. Its a double cab LN107 with a 2.8 engine.

When i called my insurance they informed me i need a cat 2 immobiliser fitting?!
    Its got no central locking and even the windows are manual but because its an import i have to have it done. Any ideas?
    some insurers do require this mine did!

a cat 2 = electronic/electromechanical immobilisor

this means a minimum of two operating circuits are to be isolated or one circuit by the means of key code entry/start up so i dont think it means you need a central locking kit fitting as this could be done at the ignition.
    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Thanks, how much am i looking at?

Comment

I thought a pick-up was classed as a commercial vehicle.
        I would try another insurance company.

Comment

I Would Try Another Company Too Mate I Am With Bell Im 24 With 9 Points And Pay Less Than 500quid They Didnt Ask If The Car Was Cat 2 But I Had To Tell Them Make It Wee Bit Cheaper

Comment

Try Lifesure. 0870 366 1235 (or 01480 474 604).

I phoned 12 insurance companies and paid £285 to Lifesure. No alarm/immobiliser was required. There was one on the Surf and other insurance companies wanted it verified as being Thatcham approved (and a £623.68 premium, with £600 excess).

A-Plan on 08450 711234 were cheaper but the deal was not as good.

Wife's newer car was cheaper with Lifesure and a customer with an LPG Range Rover saved £180 with Lifesure.

Must be worth a try. Make them your last call so they know what quote to beat.
            Did the Surf put the Toy in Toyota?

Comment

Insurance moan.

I recently insured my 92 surf 2.4TD N.I.G through Lifesure,around £320 f/comp protected 65% NCD. Doubt you will better them and no alarm required. Worth a try!

Regards,
              Fourwheeler.

Comment

Insurance Companies tend to want at least a Cat 2 Thatcham Approved Immobiliser fitted to imported vehicles. However bizarre it sounds, having a deterrent fitted is always a good idea anyways. It'll certainly stop the casual car thieves that operate.

Searching Ebay has thrown up an approved system for £32 delivered, and it looks straight forward to fit (and NO it's not me selling them).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAR-ALARM-THAT...QQcmdZViewItem

Or just search for Item number: 230040598673

Just my 10 cents.......
                Paul...

Comment

Iwill certainly try Lifesure. I keep Dogue de Bordeaux dogs (Turner & Hooch) to anyone that doesn't know. Hence the reason i bought the double cab version. I found that when insuring it if i told them i had already bought the truck they would quote but if i just wanted a quote they wouldn't?!
                  And as for someone breaking in i'am dying to see someone do that...
                  Thanks again for all your help everyone

Comment

try www.aplan.co.uk as well mate, did me proud. and good when i had to make a claim.

oops
                    TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Thanks for reminding me... scared now! Need to run away

Comment

Cheers Paul, just bought the immobiliser off e-bay. 32quid, sorted.
                        By the way anyone want to buy my Skyline?

Comment

Do insurance companies not require any device to be professionally fitted, though? Although the ebay item may be Thatcham approved, will they accept it as a self-fit?

Comment

Mine required professionally fitted immob, and signed certificate. Just renewed with 'Budget'. Fully Comp, protected no claims, £250 excess and 6 points. £260. Was with Priviledge before, same spec insurance, £349.
                            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Going to my local garage with it just incase. It is from a security firm though so it should have a certificate. Will check though

Comment

Working...
                              X