No announcement yet.

any ideas how to get a steel put up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dad had mentioned winching it somehow... he has a hand puller in the gargage and I have an 8500lb electric winch
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Overall, it's probably not the best idea. I've no idea how much one of them weighs, but if it's even close to that of a Surf, then forget it. You'd also need to have an incredibly strong anchor point above it to winch over.

What you really need is a few Acro props, a bunch of strong men (or women), and a reward for the job being done. Should be able to get the Acros from local tool hire place. They have them here for £3 a week so it shouldn't break the bank.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
        hehehe - cheers for the advice guys, its Dads job I think he has people to ask...
        the steel needs to go up to gutter height!

Why that size lintle at gutter height?

Is there another floor above?

Comment

The problem with acrows is you can't use them to do the lifting. It's a lot safer than two ladders and a bit of goodwill though.

If you can't get a big enough floor crane, two chain hoists is really the way to go.

Although, as Vince says, you shouldn't need a lintel that big (or any size) at gutter level. What's it supposed to be holding up?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            Why that size lintle at gutter height?

Is there another floor above?
            theres a loft extension going on top and its to take some roof beams - but the 2 floors below are a kinda L shape so this is spanning the difference and we have a spreader to put abouve the window too.

we might try it this weekend if we can get it HIAB'd up to the first floor... pics here we come
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

hire a forklift.

my mate built a BIG garage and the RSJs for the roof and above the roller door had to be lifted manually (cos he's a the richest tight git you ever met!)... unfortunately, he's only 5'4" so every saturday we had to go round and lift them up and rest them on the next course of blocks he'd laid!.
              it kinda got lifted gradually to the roof height as the building went up.

the roof was a pain too... first we had to go and "salvage" the wood... and he's scared of heights, so in the middle of winter, we were roped into doing that too!...

on the plus side, his workshop rof has the best view of reading festival for miles around!!
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
              X