Toyota Cylinder Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota Cylinder Heads

I was originally going to post this on the Technical Section, but ended up going for General.

Following messages on the old & now new forum regarding Surf cylinder heads & problems with cracks on 2.4 L Diesels LN 130's.

As old hands know i have a couple of bee's in my 21 yrs ( or is it 60 - memory loss !! anyway ) old bonnet, namely mileage of Surf's being sold in the UK & Cylinder heads.

Kio is actively pursuing Toyota on a Surf re-call, on the subject, hope he is successful, & anyone wlse who has a go at them.

Following my info to Kio, found the following in the motoring section of a well known joined up writing daily paper :

Message begins

Grim repair

I recently spent £1,609 on my 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser Colorado diesel, which had developed a tiny crack in the cylinder head. My dealer had repaired three such cases in recent months and told me that Toyota acknowledged the fault was due to a design defect. With this in mind, the company had extended its engine repair warranty to five years, but my cover expired before the incident took place. After several conversations with Toyota UK customer services, I was unsuccessful in my attempt to obtain any goodwill.
    C.M., Great Broughton

Answer
    When Toyota acknowledges a fault it always extends the warranty to five years. It did this with Lambda sensors, throttle bodies and steering racks on Carina Es. But it has to draw the line somewhere.
    It cannot warrant things indefinitely. You have just been unlucky that your failure fell outside the already extended warranty.

Message ends

So maybe it's not just the LN 130's which are having a head problem, note the number of head problems quoted ( right or wrong ) the number is from a LOCAL DEALER, god how many is there nation wide then ???

As a forum, maybe members should use the power of the internet to ???????

Sorry if it reads bad for some of us, but my feelings about the great car manufacturer - well are not really for young eyes & ears.

Gives you pause for thought though does'nt it.

Sewerat Bob
    To serious for Smilies this one.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

enough Bob I havent cried like this since Gone With The Wind

Comment

Before I contacted Toyota I did a search on the internet for cylinder heads.
      I found some info on them on a site, apparently the KZE/KNE (from memory so could be wrong) had problems as well. Some of the head gaskets reacted with the coolant and coroded so were recalled this was only a small batch of motors (200ish). Again it was a local recall, there was reference to several other recalls on this site, some minor and some although not neading immediate attention could lead to long term problems. I only really flicked through it, but I didn't save the link and now can not find it again, I originally searched for some two hours before I found this site, will keep looking.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

With regard to the 2.4 Surfs, does anyone honestly think they have a cat in hells chance of getting Toyota to cough up for a new cylinder head for a 10 year old vehicle whose mileage could be telphone numbers? Dream on boys.
        Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
          With regard to the 2.4 Surfs, does anyone honestly think they have a cat in hells chance of getting Toyota to cough up for a new cylinder head for a 10 year old vehicle whose mileage could be telphone numbers? Dream on boys.
          Pete
          Am dreaming but you know you dont get jack s**t in life unless you ask or chance your arm once in a while. They have done it for two people in NZ so you never know
          Well as for telephone numbers mileage i would say that after stripping it down and looking at the cams etc it aint that worn so would think my mileage is pretty accurate, also have the japanese service book with my vehicle so it shows the service km's up to 8 months before i bought it and it tally's up.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Sewerat
            Answer
            When Toyota acknowledges a fault it always extends the warranty to five years. It did this with Lambda sensors, throttle bodies and steering racks on Carina Es. But it has to draw the line somewhere.
            It cannot warrant things indefinitely. You have just been unlucky that your failure fell outside the already extended warranty.
            Sewerat Bob
            To serious for Smilies this one.
            This is not entirelly correct, they're only interested in your cash and PR, in the US where customer service is king, and companys will bend over backwards for you. You can walk into a Toyota dealer with and 100,000+ mile 11 year old V6 4Runner with the blown headgasket thing and they will sort it out, even to the extent of a whole engine if damage has been done. I know people who have had a complete engine, free rebuild, even just labour costs, depends on the dealer. But they DO get something done.

The UK is a just small market for Toyota, joined with our 'britishness' of not making a fuss means the consumer usually gets shafted.

If the 2.4 had been sold in the US, I'll bet any money 1/ there would be none left by now that havn't been recalled, or 2/ a unending 'rolling' recall like the V6 head gaskets where you just take it in when somethings happens and get it sorted out.

Toyota in Austrailia helped the Oz Government to ban imports so they didn't have to sort out non-aus warrentee problem and were losing sales, I can see the UK going the same way before long.

we'd better get as many over here as possible now! (one little smilie for Bob )
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

get it all out

get it all out mate
              S S R G is the only way to surf

scottish mud club member kerelawsurf

Comment

lol your replying to a 4 year old post!!!!

Still true though........
                mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Working...
                X