Computer Help !!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Help !!!!!

need some help with daughters computer , turn it on windows xp comes up then screen goes blank , any help much appreciated
    bring some harmony to my house again
    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Tried booting it in "SAFE" mode ?

Once it self tests start tapping F8, and see if you can get it that way

Anything been loaded on it ?

Trev

PS you been visiting Mud-Club - their forums been down for a day or two now
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
      Tried booting it in "SAFE" mode ?

Once it self tests start tapping F8, and see if you can get it that way

Anything been loaded on it ?

Trev

PS you been visiting Mud-Club - their forums been down for a day or two now
      tried that trev , wont boot in safe mode comes up with all this about drivers and freezes
      daughter wasnt on web when it went blank

Comment

looks like some of your files have gone missing. you need to put your boot up disk in and wait for the prompts. go to repair. and let the disk reinstall the files than have gone missing. hope it helps.

Comment

I had this same problem with my laptop.

We couldn't start it in safe mode so the repair disc couldn't be used.

We eventually took it back to the shop we bought if from and they uninstalled and reinstalled Windows XP. They couldn't explain what had happened, 'just one of those things' apparently.

I lost all information saved including spreadsheets and all word documents which was a PITA but it's running again now and Jon bought an external hard drive which we are now using to back up our computers onto just in case we have this problem again.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like you might have to do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Jotto
            I had this same problem with my laptop.

We couldn't start it in safe mode so the repair disc couldn't be used.

We eventually took it back to the shop we bought if from and they uninstalled and reinstalled Windows XP. They couldn't explain what had happened, 'just one of those things' apparently.

I lost all information saved including spreadsheets and all word documents which was a PITA but it's running again now and Jon bought an external hard drive which we are now using to back up our computers onto just in case we have this problem again.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like you might have to do the same.
            just trying compaq recovery ,
            if no good just spoke to gary and he thinks it might need xp reinstalling as well, oh well so much for harmony
            thanks for all the advice only way to get some peace is
            if she loses all her pics

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
              need some help with daughters computer , turn it on windows xp comes up then screen goes blank , any help much appreciated
              bring some harmony to my house again

What colour was the screen after XP boots?

Did she have antivirus etc running at the time?
              Last edited by Paff; 22 October 2006, 18:22.
              Life on the edge is short, but the view is great !

Comment

it might not boot but bet you can still access the disc from another machine. PM me if your still having probs.
                Tim
                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

still waiting for compaq recovery to finish
                  running avg antivirus,
                  if the worse comes to worse could i use mrs jokers recovery discs from her acer laptop on my daughters compaq without there being conflicts ie drivers etc?

Comment

Probably not as most are machine/manufacturer specific
                    Mike G

Comment

still waiting for compaq recovery to finish
                      running avg antivirus,
                      if the worse comes to worse could i use mrs jokers recovery discs from her acer laptop on my daughters compaq without there being conflicts ie drivers etc?

The manufacturers create "image files" of the computer setup and drivers/components installed...so you'll have major issues with devices ot working from the image file.

I know from experience in the past that issues with video resolution have made it impossible for the monitor to display the screen.
                      Gaz

Comment

thanks for all the advice lads @ mrs jotto but gary is going to visit and sort it,
                        all its going to cost is a sunday lunch lol ,
                        homemade of course !! no way its coming from morrisons

Comment

ferking PC world do they swap staff with halfrauds ??
                          daughters comps been at pc world for over a week waiting to be forwarded to compaq,
                          dont the thick c###s know how to forward stuff??

is it if you have 2 brain cells that you are over qualified for both these stores
                          maybe manager material
                          grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Comment

lol i feel for you
                            it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

ferking PC world do they swap staff with halfrauds ??
                              daughters comps been at pc world for over a week waiting to be forwarded to compaq,
                              dont the thick c###s know how to forward stuff??

is it if you have 2 brain cells that you are over qualified for both these stores
                              maybe manager material
                              grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
                              i wont bother with them anymore.i've been in there twice with about £1200 in my pocket to buy a complete set up and they say yes we do this and we do that so when it comes to actually buy it they say Oh sorry we have'nt got that in stock so i say can i pay for it and pick it up the following week and they said they cant do that so i just walk out the store and buy it else where
                              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                              X