Roof bar lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof bar lights

Those of you who've got light bars, what method did you use to get the wiring into the car? I was thinking of running the cables down the edge of the window pillar and into engine bay mounted relays / fuses.

Looking for all the alternative suggestions!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Thats what i done.

Ran cable along roof bar and entered vehicle at the foot of roof bar. Managed to get under plastic strip and down inside of pillar then through to engine bay via the gromit down by accelerator.

Don't know if it's the best but it works.
    www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

Originally posted by smithsurf
      Thats what i done.

Ran cable along roof bar and entered vehicle at the foot of roof bar. Managed to get under plastic strip and down inside of pillar then through to engine bay via the gromit down by accelerator.

Don't know if it's the best but it works.
      Did you drill the roof then, or go in through the door seal? Really not fancying drilling!

Comment

Ran mine through the door opening. Don't like drilling and leaking either. I used an inline plug and socket. 2 pin type similar to the ones found on electric mowers etc. tucked up behind the sun visor. Removed the A pillar trim and drilled a hole thru the bulkhead to the relays.

Problem is it sometimes lets the water in around the door seal.

If you drill it with a tight fitting blind grommet drilled out just smaller than the cable and seal the inside with mastic, then it shouldn't leak.
        I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
          Did you drill the roof then, or go in through the door seal? Really not fancying drilling!
          hi as $$$$hsurf said then pull down top of door seal fileout a small grove to take cable ive fitted a small plugin conecter inside just so you disconect easy if you need to remove roof bar

Comment

Just thinking, at work I have a stock of military spec IP68 bulkhead connectors. I might be tempted to drill metal if I can fit one of those. It would be neater to go in behind the headlining then down the door pillar. Would also make it easy to remove the lightbar if necessary.

Comment

If they are IP68 then you could submerge the truck and nothing will get in, well thru the gland anyway, and you get a decent seal round the hole then no problem.
              I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Drilled mine and used some convaluted tubeing and terminals from V W P with a little black silicon for good measure, looks ok and no leaks,
                Last edited by POPEYE; 12 October 2006, 22:26.
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Thats a cool looking bar Ian. Where did you get it?

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                    Thats a cool looking bar Ian. Where did you get it?
                    Cheers, i made it out of two lenghts of B&Q 25mm square alloy box and some flat alloy plate i had kicking about, a lot of drilling, fileing and polishing, i could'nt find any stock bars i liked, the fluted tube seals well and i used 3/4" tap washers under the bar supports again with a little black silicon to make sure, i got a fair lenght of the tubeing left over as they only sell it by the mt and i only needed about 4" so if you want a bit let me know, dont think i got any terminals left though,

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a nice olive drab mil spec connector for the bar to car interface.

Not sure what I'm gonna do about the bar itself, though yours has inspired me to think about building something!

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                        Drilled mine and used some convaluted tubeing and terminals from V W P with a little black silicon for good measure, looks ok and no leaks,
                        [/IMG]
                        Looks ok? It looks fappin sexy does that....
                        Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

Yeah know what you mean, all the bars on sale looked to me like just a half a roof rack with lights stuck on, i was after some 50mmx 25mm box but could'nt find any (cheap) think vince used part of an alloy step ladder,
                          Got a closer pic of the tube today, i only put the spots on for the pics (about
                          6 months ago) to see what they looked like, because of the garage door which i've now changed, so i can fit em on now when i get time, you could fix some marker lights in the bars if your makeing em yourself,

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                            Yeah know what you mean, all the bars on sale looked to me like just a half a roof rack with lights stuck on, i was after some 50mmx 25mm box but could'nt find any (cheap) think vince used part of an alloy step ladder,
                            Got a closer pic of the tube today, i only put the spots on for the pics (about
                            6 months ago) to see what they looked like, because of the garage door which i've now changed, so i can fit em on now when i get time, you could fix some marker lights in the bars if your makeing em yourself,
                            is your garage in the naval docks ian ?? lol
                            Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

HeHe sorry Dave just looked at this post again, it was the last post i did on friday when the site went down, You should see whats moored on the other side,
                              Apache! you sorted a bar out yet? like i said you could fix some marker lights in it

Comment

Working...
                              X