Big bad boo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big bad boo!

So there I was on my way to work yesterday, bimbleing along the M180 when all of a sudden.... no power! Cut across three lanes to the hard shoulder, engine cuts out! Water bubbling away from the expansion tank, no oil left, seems the head gasket has gone! Thought 3.0lt were immune to this! Boo, dont know how much it will cost to put right, just hope the turbo wasnt starved of oil, that will cost a pretty penny I think!
    Nige...............

Anything you can do.......i

No they are not immune. Like me there are a few that had the rad go so overheating and blowing the gasket. Since I had it fixed I've had no probs. (touching wood)

Comment

Well im having probs finding someone to fix the little darling Does anyone know anywhere in East Yorks that will do the job? Any idea how muchthis is gonna cost?

Is sad to see the poor thing so sick!
      Nige...............

Comment

Autoserv at Selby Charlie Gabb
        Key Kars at Thorne speak to Fraser
        Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Nice one, thanks for that, will try them!
          Nige...............

Comment

Had the same with my intercooled 3rdGen. It cost a good few quid.Can't find the bill but isa over £500! Try asking TonyN?
            Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by JackRabbit
              Thought 3.0lt were immune to this! Boo, dont know how much it will cost to put right, just hope the turbo wasnt starved of oil, that will cost a pretty penny I think!
              No car is immune, ever, most times the gasket fails and you slowly loose water till one day it over heats (thats why you should be checking fluid levels weekly, no matter how new or what car you have).

When it finally runs out of water and gets seriously hot, then you run the risk of cracking the head. The difference between the 2.4's and everything else is you're almost garrenteed a cracked head if it get warm or overheats, other cars are more of a lottery.

Just to cheer you up, turbos are £2K+ from Toyota!! Just ask Snoop.

Head gasket issues don't normally effect oil on Surfs, so you may have other issues if there is no oil in it, when was the last time you checked it?
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

So there I was on my way to work yesterday, bimbleing along the M180 when all of a sudden.... no power! Cut across three lanes to the hard shoulder, engine cuts out! Water bubbling away from the expansion tank, no oil left, seems the head gasket has gone! Thought 3.0lt were immune to this! Boo, dont know how much it will cost to put right, just hope the turbo wasnt starved of oil, that will cost a pretty penny I think!
                Also try STEVO he's in stockport & has the means to get your SURF there!
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

Thanks Guys! Appreciate your help, will try to get hold of Stevo! The oil was only checked last week and it was fine, did notice that the oil pressure was low when i set off on Monday, intended to check when I got to work...ho hum. As for overheating, didnt overheat once, plenty of water still in the system, whatever has happened has happened pretty quick, dont know if thats good or bad!

Can anyone give me contact details for STEVO? The only STEVO i can find in the members list is in Reading and not Stockport, I take it this is not the same guy?
                  Last edited by JackRabbit; 11 October 2006, 10:43.
                  Nige...............

Comment

I don't think it's head or gasket, as it wouldn't suddenly loose power.
                    If you've lost oil/oil pressure, then it's something to do with the oil pump or the oil pick-up pipe is clogged restricting oil flow, or a bottom end failure.

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/members_pa...evo/index.html

Comment

Would bottom end damage be obvious, as the engine still turns over and dosnt sound any different, just no compression hence no start!
                      Nige...............

Comment

Would bottom end damage be obvious, as the engine still turns over and dosnt sound any different, just no compression hence no start!

If the piston rings are worn and not sealing in the bores, then you wouldn't hear it, just no compression.
                        The same as if one or more of the pistons developed holes in the tops. On both counts you would loose oil and pressure 'cos it would be pushing past the pistons and out through the exhaust.
                        You say your oil had gone, did you see it happen? is it on the ground under the engine, did it leak out and left a trail up the road, or did it burn away leaving huge plumes of smoke behind you before the engine threw in the towel?

Comment

Honestly never noticed a thing! No clouds of smoke, no oil slick, nothing! Recon its gonna cost me a bit this one.....
                          Nige...............

Comment

what you want is a good diesel mechanic ther has got to be loads up your way i also agree with bushwhacker they dont just stop like yours apears to have done

Comment

Well shes gone to the garage today....just awaiting the verdict..
                              Nige...............

Comment

Working...
                              X