Lucky Volvo Escape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky Volvo Escape

Hi, I need to start by saying this is a fantastic forum and has pursuaded me to Surf. I have wanted a 4x4 for a long time and know that now is the time to do it.

My 200k mile Sierra is about to bite the dust but its a good load lugger which is what I need to replace it with. My traditional options would have been a Volvo or Omega estate – then I thought about a importing a Pajero but no one had much to say about them. I need a big load lugger, comfortable to drive – mainly motorway miles with a bit of off road as I become more adventurous. So now, with thanks to you all, I am looking to buy and import a Surf (also a first) – very soon – before my Sierra runs out of steam. Ideally I would like to buy one next week! Arriving here March-ish. My budget puts me upto the 1993/1994 mark I think.

From spending a good few hours reading though the forum I still have a number of questions – on different stuff which will hopefully make my search easier, more fruitful and quicker. If some are inane please excuse me.

1. Can anyone recommend a good auction site, agent, direct... I have visited a few ( advan, idirect, ridhaa, ebay... but recommendation will be appreciated as it will help my urgency. Please contact me privately if you want. The longer I wait the more I will dither.

2. 2.4 vs 3.0 – Are head, overheating problems as bad as they are made out? People will complain when things go wrong but not if all is OK.

3. Are there any figures around showing the the difference in mpg 2.4 vs 3.0.? Average driving style with 80mph cruise on motorway.

4. Are headrests readily available in the rear. Saw a picture recently which was a first – any particular model?

5. In the back are there 3 seat belts – had a look at a couple of Surfs a while back but can’t remember.?

6. Whats up with the spare wheel – some are on the back – some under the floor. Whats the difference – only seen ones on the rear?

7. Are their any ready made bars / cage / guards to separate the boot from the rear passengers?

Can’t wait to become a Surfer soon and putting the Volvo episode behind me. Phew

Phil
    Hoops

The difference between stupidity and genius.... is that genius has its limits!!

Originally posted by hoops
    Hi, I need to start by saying this is a fantastic forum and has pursuaded me to Surf. I have wanted a 4x4 for a long time and know that now is the time to do it.

My 200k mile Sierra is about to bite the dust but its a good load lugger which is what I need to replace it with. My traditional options would have been a Volvo or Omega estate – then I thought about a importing a Pajero but no one had much to say about them. I need a big load lugger, comfortable to drive – mainly motorway miles with a bit of off road as I become more adventurous. So now, with thanks to you all, I am looking to buy and import a Surf (also a first) – very soon – before my Sierra runs out of steam. Ideally I would like to buy one next week! Arriving here March-ish. My budget puts me upto the 1993/1994 mark I think.

From spending a good few hours reading though the forum I still have a number of questions – on different stuff which will hopefully make my search easier, more fruitful and quicker. If some are inane please excuse me.

1. Can anyone recommend a good auction site, agent, direct... I have visited a few ( advan, idirect, ridhaa, ebay... but recommendation will be appreciated as it will help my urgency. Please contact me privately if you want. The longer I wait the more I will dither.

2. 2.4 vs 3.0 – Are head, overheating problems as bad as they are made out? People will complain when things go wrong but not if all is OK.

3. Are there any figures around showing the the difference in mpg 2.4 vs 3.0.? Average driving style with 80mph cruise on motorway.

4. Are headrests readily available in the rear. Saw a picture recently which was a first – any particular model?

5. In the back are there 3 seat belts – had a look at a couple of Surfs a while back but can’t remember.?

6. Whats up with the spare wheel – some are on the back – some under the floor. Whats the difference – only seen ones on the rear?

7. Are their any ready made bars / cage / guards to separate the boot from the rear passengers?

Can’t wait to become a Surfer soon and putting the Volvo episode behind me. Phew

Phil
    Hi Phil and welcome to the mad house.

2.4 vs 3.0 With the 2.4 I think its pot luck if you get one without the dodgy head so if your budget allows go for the 3.0.

I don't think there is a great deal of difference between them for fuel economy.

I think rear headrests are standard.

My 2.4 j reg has 3 rear seatbelts.

The rear mounted spare wheel was an optional extra I believe.

Sorry I can't be of much more help but I'm sure someone else will fill in the questions and correct my answers.
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Phil
      The head problem is isolated to the 2.4's its not as bad as it seems, people tend to talk about the negative far longer thant they do the good.
      It was a badly designed head on a batch of the 2.4's, fitted with a new head the problem shouldn't re-occur. So if you are peace of mind motoring then the 3.0 is the one to go for, if you don't want to take the chance.

As for MPG under general driving there isn't a lot to choose between the two. If you start to be heavy on the right foot it can go down to 19-20mpg, driven reasonably you should see anywhere from 24-28mpg.
      If your after motorway cruising at 80ish the 2.4 will do this (mine does) but the 3.0 will cruise more comfortably and offer that extra bit of grunt to accelerate at the higher speeds.

Not yet seen a surf without rear headrests.

Seatbelts, yes three in the back. Only variance is lap belts or 3 point belts.

Most you will see is rear mounted spares. It would appear most earlier models had underslung and the later rear mounted. Look around you will see 3rd gens & 2nd gens with underslung or rear mounted.

I believe there are some bars, cages you can get that will seperate the rear from the passengers. I thnk some of the guys on here have fittted them and should be able to point you in the right direction.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

4. Are headrests readily available in the rear. Saw a picture recently which was a first – any particular model? Yes they are standard

5. In the back are there 3 seat belts – had a look at a couple of Surfs a while back but can’t remember.? Lap belts are standard in the rear in older models cant speak for later, and conversions to 3 point belts are available in UK

6. Whats up with the spare wheel – some are on the back – some under the floor. Whats the difference – only seen ones on the rear? Rear mounted ones are on a swing out arm, which must be done if you're to open down the tailgate. It gives a surf a more '4x4' look thats all. The underslung ones are tricky to lower in the rain on a motorway if you havent practiced it and greased the chain too.

7. Are their any ready made bars / cage / guards to separate the boot from the rear passengers? These would be handy alright but if you develop rear window problems it can be necessary to climb into the back and do stuff.

Can’t wait to become a Surfer soon and putting the Volvo episode behind me. What Volvo episode????

PS: A 2.4 with proof of a new head fitted from your local second hand market would be the only way to go on those, I wouldnt import a 2.4 unseen although they are aparently spotless for their age.

Comment

Many thanks for all your help. Still would like a recommendation for an agent though.

Phil
          Hoops

Comment

Many thanks for all your help. Still would like a recommendation for an secret agent though.

Phil
            I'd try James Bond. He looks good on TV.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              I'd try James Bond. He looks good on TV.
              They say that sometimes you are just plain stoopid,
              I think you're just stoopid - there's nothing plain about you!!
              NO WORRIES!
              Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by rusty
                Sometimes you are just plain stoopid, other times you're a complete idiot
                Thanks, customer service is always a priority on the forum.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

You're welcome
                  NO WORRIES!
                  Rusty

Comment

Customer service where where
                    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                    My choice
                    Back off

Comment

Customer service? I'd just settle for his way with the ladies... and abilty to get cool stuff just about anywhere he needs it!!
                      Hoops

Comment

Working...
                      X