Mixed Emotions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Emotions

It's time to say a very fond farewell to my 2nd Gen 2.4TD SSR-X :-( Nearly two years of ownership, hardly missed a beat (except leading up to the head replacement therapy). I love it dearly... one of the very few vehicles that I've ever parted with in viable condition. I am saddened to be parting with it.

But...

The silver lining is that it is being replaced by a 3rd Gen 3.0TD SSR-X :-)

Memories of the daily commutes over the Pennines (via the back roads) last winter, and the overheating problems associated with a failing head gasket, and the temptation of a grey-over-silver 3rd Gen on a local forecourt have got the better of me. A test drive last week demonstrated that the 3.0 is significantly quicker... almost indecently so! Low-down torque is impressive, gear-shifts slicker. ABS is, I think, a Good Thing - lost count of the number of times I've cadence-braked the old truck up to lock-up conditions. I'm parting with a lot of money to upgrade the motor by only 3 years, but the deal is struck.

So, mixed emotions. Sad to be parting with a truck that hasn't really let me down too badly over the last two years, but excited at the prospect of the new Toy. I hope I'm doing the right thing!

A question to the panel: Has anyone discovered a fool-proof method for removing the sticky tape that bonds the wind deflectors to the doors? I don't really like the look of the wind deflectors, and stripped them off the 2nd Gen. The tape remains on the doors to this day, but doesn't stick out too much due to it being the darkish-grey colour. The 3rd Gen has original Toyota deflectors fitted (complete with 'safe edge'). These only appear to have two screwed clamps each, and I'm guessing that the adhesive is going to be a lot stronger. The truck is a much lighter grey, so remaining tape may look more unsightly than the bulbous lumps of plastic. Any recommendations or old wives tales relating to wind deflector removal appreciated.
    Cheers,
    'Drew

try something with citric acid in i.e orange lemon juice.there are sticky label type removers out there.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

I've always found wd40 an almost universal stain remover - from sticky glue to permanent marker pen. - also good for displacing water and penetrating siezed bolts apparently!
      Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

nice one

you wont regret it . 3rd gens rock m8
        black n tan
        black n tan
        yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Working...
        X