Proper way to 4x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper way to 4x4

Right then.....I am a complete Off-Roader Newbie.....

I was wondering what the correct order was for initiating 4 wheel drive in my SURF was. Does it matter?

Currently i go into Neutral, press that 4WD button, go int L4, and then into DRIVE, and away i go......is this correct? It seems to work

I have a 3.0TD 2nd Gen Automatic Hilux Surf SSR-X

Also, I believe i have an LSD, so don't need to lock diffs......is this correct?

Any tips of suggestions would be MUCH appreciated

Many thanks

you can press 4wd button when driving offroad - mud, grass, snow, as long as you are below 50 mph - but NOT on tarmac or other grippy surface
    for more serious offroading, you can use the lowrange system you described e.g. in mud pits, steep climbs and descents

also read this FAQ:
    http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...ht=wheel+drive

LSD - depends whether it still works!, its nadgered on my 160 k mile 4runner due to clutch plates wearing out in it.
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by marktippins1981
      Also, I believe i have an LSD, so don't need to lock diffs......is this correct?
      Many thanks
      Not quite, a LSD is a traction aid in the rear diff, its better than a open diff, but not as good as a locked diff offroad, but it works when on-road, which a locked diff is usless at. You can't do anything to it, it does its stuff automatically.

But you don't have diff locks on a 2nd gen Surf,( unless aftermarket lockers have been fitted) so it doesn't matter anyway.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Right then.....I am a complete Off-Roader Newbie.....

I was wondering what the correct order was for initiating 4 wheel drive in my SURF was. Does it matter?

Currently i go into Neutral, press that 4WD button, go int L4, and then into DRIVE, and away i go......is this correct? It seems to work

I have a 3.0TD 2nd Gen Automatic Hilux Surf SSR-X

Any tips of suggestions would be MUCH appreciated

Many thanks
        If you are just in something a bit slippy and need extra traction just press the 4wd button on the side of the transfer lever. No need to stop or go into neutral or L4.

If you need low range (i.e. ascending or descending) then stop, select neutral, move the transfer lever into L4, select drive (or appropriate gear) and drive off. No need to press the 4wd button.

As standard, the 2nd gen Surf doesn't have any diffs that you can manually engage/dis-engage so don't worry about that.
        Paul </Slugsie>
        Immortal.so far!

Comment

How much damage will i do by pressing 4WD on the road? As I have done this, but only whilst stationary.

Right, i get it, so i can actually have 4WD whilst still in High Ratio.....nice!!

Did my first bit of minor off-roading last weekend, was sweet, went through a little stream which was pretty cool. My BFGoodrich's didn't slip at all.......I would like to tackle some more challenging stuff now.....

....does anyone know of anything in Gloucestershire where this is possible? (preferably free of course)

Comment

the only place i know of thats close to you apart from green laning is bristol off road centre in dundry bristol.it opens once a month and is £20 for the day and there is loads to do there everything from open flat fields to steep hills and water holes.very friendly bunch of guys and gals up there always willing to offer help and advice

http://www.bristoloffroad.co.uk/index.htm
            I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

[QUOTE=marktippins1981]How much damage will i do by pressing 4WD on the road? As I have done this, but only whilst stationary.QUOTE]

No damage, even if moving on the road, as long as it's in a straight line.

Comment

Can you drive it on the road in 4WD ? If it is icy, snowy, etc?!

Comment

Can you drive it on the road in 4WD ? If it is icy, snowy, etc?!

Yep. as long as the front tyres can 'slip', you got no worries.
                  Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 9 October 2006, 15:11.

Comment

Working...
                  X