My Surf Story So Far.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Surf Story So Far.

Hi all, had my Surf about 6 weeks now but it's only been on the road from october 1st due to the fact that my last insurance company wouldn't touch it. I had to wait for the policy to run out to claim 4 years no claims bonus.

So far I've found out that it has a few more little dings than I thought, nothing bad but missed them when buying, although it has been parked up at work so a few of them could have happened there!

The air con doesn't work, no big deal.

The rear window is very slow, tried all the tips listed here but still no go.

Whoever wired up the MP3 player must have been wearing a blindfold, have had to get a mate to sort out the wiring.

Tried to fit a new chrome front bumper but realised it also needs a new plastic lower valance. Will order one from Roughtrax.

The carpet in the boot appears to be stainned with oil so will have to give it a good scrub or try and source a second hand one.

The heater controls seem to be pushed in at one side but they all work so may have to strip them out to try and realign them.

There's a little rattle from underneath when accelerating gently but it's not there if you put your foot down.

On the plus side the engine, gearbox, brakes, steering, electrics and heater are all fine.

So all in all not too bad a start as I didn't pay mega bucks for a 1995 SSRX 3.0 Ltr. I suppose that spending a bit on doing it up won't break the bank.

Oh and I passed a nice looking K reg in a layby today with steam billowing out from under the open bonnet (wonder if it was a 2.4?) would have stopped to help but had to pick my grandson up from school. So I guess my problems are little ones compared to his.

And by the way I love this Surf despite it's few faults.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

hi kameeleon,we seem to have a few things in common not least we both coming from newcastle,my surf has or had a few of the same problems as yours,cd/mp3 player wired up totally wrong,remember most of the dash has to come out to get access to rear of stereo(sounds daunting but is quite easy),my rear window is very slow,normally have to give it a helping hand to get it closed,front pass. side central locking not working but hey!! my air con is working a treat,great in the last week of july i'll keep an eye out for you,see you later.

Comment

Hi Bigriver, nice to know I've got some local company on here! Seems we have the same model and year as well.

I live in Winlaton actually and travel to Prudhoe for work, I'm out and about in the Surf most weekends, mainly Derwent reservoir, Chopwell Woods or down the coast. Keep an eye out for me, dark blue Surf, drivers side front bumper been whacked but should have new chrome bumper, front valance, bull bar and spots fitted in the next couple of weeks.

Trying to find a breakers yard up here for a few bits and bobs, going to a place at Tanfield Lea tomorrow to see what he has.

Catch you later.
      'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

You guys aint the only ones, my rear window is slow too, always have to give it a helping hand, just waiting for the day it wont work at all, I guess they all come with little snags as there wot 14 years old?, mines dead slow sometimes and always when i need to nip out onto a roundabout or junction, i floor the ba$tard and it seems to crawl , going to fit new injectors but keep getting sidetracked by blingy stuff
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

hi again kameeleon,a Winlaton boy eh? i was brought up in Whickham but now a toony, married and have a 16 year old daughter your'e lucky to find any yards breaking these,usually source items off ebay,especially servicing parts,closest i get to your neck of the woods now is blaydon car boot on a sunday mornin' hoping to find that rear window motor for my surf see you around

Comment

Working...
          X