Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found one at last!

Yipeeee......!
    Finally found a surf after two years searching,(only a 2.4) but well pleased with its general spec and performance.I have some questions though.It's a unabused example with 140,000 km on the clock, black 1992 reg 2.4 on a K plate SSRX. What goodies should it have on it as standard? It has a LSD sticker on the rear differential caseing, but how can i be sure it's got one, two or none fitted? Is it possible to date the vehicle, as its declared date of manufacture stated on the registration document is 1983 although it was imported in 1992. The final question is whats it worth?, as i paid £1950 from a dealer with 6 months tax and a years mot + 1 months engine and gearbox warranty included. I found it difficult to value from any price guides but whatever i'm well satisfied.
    Any information gratefully received.
    Regards, Fourwheeler.

Originally posted by FOURWHEELER
    Yipeeee......!
    Finally found a surf after two years searching,(only a 2.4) but well pleased with its general spec and performance.I have some questions though.It's a unabused example with 140,000 km on the clock, black 1992 reg 2.4 on a K plate SSRX. What goodies should it have on it as standard? It has a LSD sticker on the rear differential caseing, but how can i be sure it's got one, two or none fitted? Is it possible to date the vehicle, as its declared date of manufacture stated on the registration document is 1983 although it was imported in 1992. The final question is whats it worth?, as i paid £1950 from a dealer with 6 months tax and a years mot + 1 months engine and gearbox warranty included. I found it difficult to value from any price guides but whatever i'm well satisfied.
    Regards, Fourwheeler.
    Hi there .That is a good price for a 2.4.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Yipeeee......!
      Finally found a surf after two years searching,(only a 2.4) but well pleased with its general spec and performance.I have some questions though.It's a unabused example with 140,000 km on the clock, black 1992 reg 2.4 on a K plate SSRX. What goodies should it have on it as standard? It has a LSD sticker on the rear differential caseing, but how can i be sure it's got one,

Jack up the rear, so both wheels are of the ground and spin one wheel, the other should turn in the same direction.two or none fitted? Is it possible to date the vehicle, as its declared date of manufacture stated on the registration document is 1983 although it was imported in 1992

Look at the tag on the seatbelt, the manufacture date will be on there.. The final question is whats it worth?, as i paid £1950 from a dealer with 6 months tax and a years mot + 1 months engine and gearbox warranty included. I found it difficult to value from any price guides but whatever i'm well satisfied.
      Seems a good price to me, has the head been changed? and will the warranty cover it if it hasn't?
      Regards, Fourwheeler.

Comment

Is it a 2nd gen, if so it can't be an 1983
        If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

i dont think it is if you look at this link

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26308

Comment

I reckon it doesn't matter what you paid for it. These are great trucks, and whatever you paid, the amount of smiles you get is worth it
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by gary16163
              Is it a 2nd gen, if so it can't be an 1983

That may have been an excited slip of the finger.

Comment

Most probably a 1993, K plate, imported 2002. 2nd gen.
                Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                  Most probably a 1993, K plate, imported 2002. 2nd gen.
                  Thats what I was thinking
                  If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Found one at last!

It's got the power rear window and dropdown tailgate.....2ND GENERATION it must be then, perhaps it was a slip of the pen as suggested regarding the build date.I will check the seatbelts tomorrow for the date and the diffs at the weekend. Much obliged to everyone with the info..., i will post my findings in due course.
                    Regards,
                    Fourwheeler.

Comment

Found one at last!

Re the head:
                      The truck did not have a service history so i don't know if the head has been changed but the dealer added the warranty without me asking and assured me they would repair any faults to the engine and gearbox if it arose in the 30 days.That is in writing so i have no reason to disbelive should it occur.
                      Time will tell.
                      On this matter can i tell if mine has a possible suspect head (ie...engine number)?
                      The engine sounds sweet as a nut with no black smoke or untoward noises.
                      Also where can I locate a manual / handbook, and what does the ECT BUTTON do?
                      Thanks,
                      Fourwheeler.

Comment

Ther's no way of telling wether the head is an old one or new just by looking at it, as the new heads have re-designed castings inside.

If yours has been well looked after and the cooling system is clear and working well, then there's no reason why an original head shouldn't last the life of the vehicle.

You can get manuals from here...http://www.milneroffroad.com/LN130.htm,
                        the ECT button is for holding the transmission in each gear for longer, handy for when towing, long hills or faster getaways. all three will cause the fuel tank to empty rapidly!!

Comment

Oooh ooh, me, me.

ECT button makes it hold on to the gears for longer when it changes up so you get a bit more acceleration. Not really worth it.

Handbook is freely available off the Aussie Surf site I believe. No Haynes style manual. Max Ellery (sold by Milners) is the closest you'll get.

No warning on the head, no way of knowing. If you get a lot of white smoke that smells like coolant and a load of coolant blowing out the expansion tank it's likely. Otherwise, no worries, happy cruising.

Comment

Damn you Vince! Damn your eyes!

Comment

ECHO ECHO

Comment

Working...
                              X