Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota MR2 help

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a little run around for the missis, poss a MR2 nothing flash just an old 1990 mk2.
    Does anyone have mutch knowledge on them , things to look out for , known faults etc.

Any pointers greatly recieved.

Cheers.

Andy.

I know they go like f**k!!

Check the radiator/cooling system for leaks is the only one I can think of at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      I know they go like f**k!!

Sweet !

Cheers for the pointer Vince.

Andy.

Comment

Some buying info....http://www.mr2dc.com/buyGuideMK2.asp...ion=buyerguide

Some entusiasts banter...http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/index.php?name=Forums

Comment

Oh yeah, and for around four grand, you can make them look like a ferrari 355!!

http://www.supercarkits.com/

Comment

Oh yeah, and for around four grand, you can make them look like a ferrari 355!!

http://www.supercarkits.com/
            Like a bad copy of a 355. Followed one on the M5 last week and it's just ... wrong. Dont do it.

Had a Mk1 and it's far better than the Mk2. An incredible drivers car. The Mk2 is OK and looks nice, but not that quick (Vince, you're too used to 2.4 Surfs mate!). The turbo import (had one too) is mega fast but not as nicely balanced as the Mk1.

Nothing went wrong with either of 'em, so with the usual caveats, buy with confidence.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
              Like a bad copy of a 355. Followed one on the M5 last week and it's just ... wrong. Dont do it.

Had a Mk1 and it's far better than the Mk2. An incredible drivers car. The Mk2 is OK and looks nice, but not that quick (Vince, you're too used to 2.4 Surfs mate!). The turbo import (had one too) is mega fast but not as nicely balanced as the Mk1.

Nothing went wrong with either of 'em, so with the usual caveats, buy with confidence.

Did it not occur to you that I may be selling one?

Comment

Did it not occur to you that I may be selling one?
                No. I need a slap in the face to see the bleedin obvious! Nowt wrong with the Mk2, just not so nice with the pretend Ferrari bodykit. I'd even go as far as saying the Mk2 is a nicer 'burds' car than the Mk1!

Comment

hehehe!!!

Comment

The Turbo is ballistic! Mine had a shade under 300bhp and I embarrassed MUCH more expensive metal on numerous occasions! Not so good for keeping a driving licence these days though...

Comment

I saw a turbo import on that used car roadshow program, the guy paid ten grand for it, and spent another ten grand on goodies for it!!

Comment

Ahem...

I sold mine for £2000 about 4 years ago. Full MOT etc etc.

Bit of a swine to insure though.

Comment

My brother is a very active member of the Mr2 Club and has two, one MK1 and 1 MK2. His Mk2 is an absolute mint standard turbo one which he has just put up for sale. It's got a ridiculous amount of history cos the previous owner (from new i think) was positively anal about it. I'd buy it off him but two seats, a nipper on the way and moving house put paid to that one . If it's something someone might be interested in let me know and I'll find out if he's still got it.
                          Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

The MK2 is nice inside but the big end went on mine...

Lovely to drive though. I would recommend getting soem serious rubber on the back. I had 325's and stiffened lowered suspension and it used to corner like a train...
                            [I][B]96 3rd Gen in bluuuueeeee[/B]I]

Comment

My mate had a mk2 turbo with a nice jap body kit on it. also had about 300bhp. I was most inpressed with the bootspace in the thing. The main point to bear in mind is that the turbo's have hedge magnets fitted in the rear bumper as standard as he found out to his cost. When the back end begins to go, it just goes! extremely snappy, not a drifters car like my old skyline.

Good cars though, if the engine is well maintained and serviced they will run and run, so its esential to have history. Well worth looking at an import whther it be turbo or not, cos just like the surfs, you'll buy a 10 or 15 year old car thats never seen salt on its body. Whereas a uk car wil have had years of it no matter how well looked after its been. Though saying that alot of the uk ones are owned by women and are often weekend cars, so are usually garaged and come out on sunny days. Great if you find one!

Forget the 355 kits, you want to do this: http://www.totalkitcar.com/tkc_article_494.php

The Veranti conversion utilises Toyota's origonal plans to make the MR2 a true soft-top. The t-bar versions (the ones with a glass roof) actually have poppers already mounted along the top of the windscreen, proving the Toyota planned to develop a softtop for the mk2 mr2, but just never got round to it!

Sorry to go on, just love jap sportscars,

Mart
                              Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

Working...
                              X