No announcement yet.

Apparently, we can't see out of our 4x4s now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I notice the 'survey' was carried out by Autoglass. Are they on the Government's payroll now then?

looks like Autoglass could lose a lot of custom over this.

Comment

Visibility is probably poor from your truck Vince, dont you find the drivers position is high enough to be in cloud cover a lot of the time?
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

T'was this morning, couldn't see the town down below the back garden either!

Comment

hiya
          I was thinking to myself ,if I spray my surf black and put a thingy on the roof saying taxi would they leave me alone. I know what you mean
          M36A2 I drive a volvo FL12 tipper ,,,,(thats real offroading) ,them mirrors are a pain, ya hate em but ya need them eye extensions.
          Last edited by gillcover; 3 October 2006, 18:49.

Comment

http://www.autoglass.co.uk/a_spot/a-...icles_used.asp

...errr hang on minute. There's only 20 cars in the whole survey. Only one proper 4x4 (the Jeep) how on Earth do the Guardian arrive at the conclusion that 4x4's are the menace of the streets based on this data?

Someone at the Guardian needs shooting! Very poor science and even worse journalism (they didn't bother actualy checking the facts (yet again)).

Comment

Deffo the worst car on the road re blind spots has to be the Ford Puma, tiny rear screen, useless mirrors and the windscreen glass distorts the view 6" inches from the base!

Nice gearbox though but Ford nicked that from Mazda

Comment

I read this yesterday morning before going to bed, and it reminded me of a TV program I watched at least four years ago where they were looking at the increasing dangers of widening A pillars due to vehicle design. It was considered dangerous enougth that Volvo (I think) were trying to design a transparent A pillar without sacrificing vehicle strength. Not one of the vehicles looked at were 4x4s, most were MPVs. I also remember when I was an avid motorcylist Bike magazine doing an article about dangerous A pillars, and how easy it was to lose sight of a motorcylce on a roundabout.
                So really this is old news revamped and redesigned to attack US.
                For the record my A pillars don't obstructe my vision nearly half as much as my wind deflectors do when they are dirty/misted/frozen so how come I'm yet to hit anything moving.

I've just realised that I've typed this at work just before driving home, I may have just condemed myself!
                Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

These anti-4x4 people shoul;d spend a week in Houston, Texas, where I was the other week on training course.
                  I reckon 25% of vehicles are 4x4 of some sort, SUV and pickups,
                  and the 4runners out there look small compared to a lot of the trucks people drive. And I'm sure the engines are huge too.
                  I saw 3 "small" cars in the whole week!, the smallest being a new mini,
                  most of the normal saloon cars have 3.0litre V6 as a minimum !

those guys in US guzzle fuel! and complain about paying $2.30 a gallon for fuel

the antis would curl up and die out there!!!! as they wouldnt know where to start moaning!
                  Landcruiser Colorado
                  Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
                    These anti-4x4 people shoul;d spend a week in Houston, Texas, where I was the other week on training course.
                    I reckon 25% of vehicles are 4x4 of some sort, SUV and pickups,
                    and the 4runners out there look small compared to a lot of the trucks people drive. And I'm sure the engines are huge too.
                    I saw 3 "small" cars in the whole week!, the smallest being a new mini,
                    most of the normal saloon cars have 3.0litre V6 as a minimum !

those guys in US guzzle fuel! and complain about paying $2.30 a gallon for fuel

the antis would curl up and die out there!!!! as they wouldnt know where to start moaning!

They would start with the Mini and work their way up!

Comment

Look on the bright side. At least they've given us a valid excuse to use to
                      the police when we run the moaning ba$tards over. Sorry Officer, they were
                      in my big blind spot.

Comment

Working...
                      X