T Belt warning light after belt change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T Belt warning light after belt change

I bought my surf 2 weeks ago with 78000 k on the clock before picking it up it was given a major service including timming belt change.When it got to 80000 k the other day the timing belt warning light came on,having searched on the site for advice Iam now $$$$tin maself in case its been clocked,could there be another reason for this ? It dont look like its done loads o miles the engine looks like new and underneath the motor looks minted also got it from a reputable dealer as well.

Hope you can put my mind at ease,

The Laird.(aka John)

The light has come on because the belt was change before it was due. To reset the light, remove the small rubber bung in front of the speedo face and insert a long toothpick or similar and press the button thats behind.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      The light has come on because the belt was change before it was due. To reset the light, remove the small rubber bung in front of the speedo face and insert a long toothpick or similar and press the button thats behind.
      Dude You rule at this knowledge lark

Comment

????? How's that Vince?

The car doesn't 'know' the belt has been changed - they're innanimate objects.

I had the belt changed early (92,000k) the light came on at 100,000k as you would expect. I changed the belt last week and the light pinged on yesterday as I clocked 200,000k - ahhh, how I laughed.

It's odd that it should come on - the trigger is something to do with the cogs in the odometer (I think).

Anyone else got a view on this?
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
          ????? How's that Vince?

The car doesn't 'know' the belt has been changed - they're innanimate objects.

I had the belt changed early (92,000k) the light came on at 100,000k as you would expect. I changed the belt last week and the light pinged on yesterday as I clocked 200,000k - ahhh, how I laughed.

It's odd that it should come on - the trigger is something to do with the cogs in the odometer (I think).

Anyone else got a view on this?
          You're right the light is triggered by the odometer/speedo unit so yes it is possible its been clocked but I wouldn,t worry about it, its only been clocked by about 20Km so not that much, unless its been clocked by 120Km which I very much doubt
          If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Also, I noticed when changing my speedo face over, it's easy to knock the index wheel that switches on the light. It has an on and off position, with a graduated segment in the middle.

Comment

Also, I noticed when changing my speedo face over, it's easy to knock the index wheel that switches on the light. It has an on and off position, with a graduated segment in the middle.
              Soooooo......

Hopefully car not clocked - index wheel moved when fitting UK spec dial faces

Comment

See pic i've ermm, borrowed from Ian619....

Comment

See pic i've ermm, borrowed from Ian619....
                  Good point Vince, good chance thats whats happened
                  If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Thanks for the replys I feel a bit more reassured now,I suppose its possible its been clocked by 20000k but it certainly dont look like its done 200 000 it just looks in to good nick and drives great,

Thanks again the Laird.

Comment

Originally posted by The Laird O' Shesgnan
                      Thanks for the replys I feel a bit more reassured now,I suppose its possible its been clocked by 20000k but it certainly dont look like its done 200 000 it just looks in to good nick and drives great,

Thanks again the Laird.
                      Hey you,

There's nothing wrong with 200,000km trucks - even if mine DOES look like it's been there.

Comment

'Lovely Boy O', I must appologise 200,000k is a milestone indeed and hopefully mines will get there to.(if it hasnt already)

The Laird,(aka John)

Comment

yes its the cogs inside the speedo that re set the speedo like vince says and boyo ` on the 3rd gen its a bit more complicated

Comment

Originally posted by The Laird O' Shesgnan
                            'Lovely Boy O', I must appologise 200,000k is a milestone indeed and hopefully mines will get there to.(if it hasnt already)

The Laird,(aka John)
                            Ha, Only joking - although apology accepted.

I've clocked 200,000k on Moanday, and - even though I know how to reset it -

I'VE BEEN DRIVING AROUND ALL WEEK WITH THE T-BELT LIGHT ON

Its the strangest feeling - I laugh in the face of you boring t-belt light ha

Comment

Working...
                            X