Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless network

Computer bods help.

Setting up wireless network, have done all the necessary on my desktop. When running the network wizard on my laptop I can’t get past the first bit where it asks for network name. On the desktop I have called it home but when I enter this or anything in the laptop wizard I get the error “Network name contains one or more characters that are not valid”

Help please, searched the net with no success.

Cheers Steve
    Should have bought a 3ltr

Is this any help?

https://www.microsoft.com/athome/mor...lesssetup.mspx

Comment

Cheers Vince,

I thought every one was asleep, I'll take a butchers and report back.

Nope didn't help, I have internet but trying to create a network to file share.

Steve
      Last edited by Esamed; 25 September 2006, 23:00.

Comment

ahhh ok

so what you need to do is assign all computers to the same workgroup. this way they will all be on the same network, and you can then set folder permissions and share stuff.

in short, right click on My Computer > Properties > Computer Name > then click Change at the bottom (where it says to rename this computer or join a domain)

[another way to get to these options is Control Panel > System]

another window will pop up, and here you need to enter a workgroup name, I use HOME, at the bottom. be sure not to enter a domain name. now click OK a couple of times to get out and apply the settings, you may need to restart.

do this on all machines connected to the router, and you can then set folder permissions. to do this right click on the folder you wish to share on the network and select Sharing and Security - just click Share This Folder On The Network and give it a name. then click OK to apply settings.

if you have one work laptop and you wish to share files with the home pc, you will need to do something else entirely, but im guessing that you are creating a home network here.

hope that helps? if not give me a shout!
        I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

What OS are you using?

Is it the same OS on each PC?

The default network name is MSHOME (assuming using windows).

Can you get it to work if you leave it as standard?
          I assume you ARE running 'Set Up Wireless Network' from control panel on each PC?
          It just does, OK?

Comment

GENTS

Thanks running XP home on both, laptop just hung up so rebooting. Locked up in explorer again. going to bed had enough. Will continue tomorrow .

Thanks again Steve

Comment

Still at it, done all you said mooter.

1st question after setting sharing is how does one see the folders form one PC to another?

Secondly I have set both PC's with same Full Computer names and work group and when I run network wizard I still get same error as before!!!!

I see Vince you are going down this route , good luck.

Steve

Comment

Both (all) computers on the network MUST have different names!!!
                It just does, OK?

Comment

Cheers,

Nearly there just noticed I had different name in the network name for the wizard on 1 pc changed that and just renamed laptop. Here goes nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Esamed
                    Cheers,

Nearly there just noticed I had different name in the network name for the wizard on 1 pc changed that and just renamed laptop. Here goes nothing.

BANG!

hehehe!!

Comment

once they all have the same workgroup name...

you can use a folder on XP called - SharedDocs on "computername"

found in My Network Places.

All machines on the workgroup shoudl have their own one... and you should be able to see them all once its worked...

If you run through the "set up a home or small office network" wizard on each machine, you should be fine. Just call the common group the same name "Home" or "MSHome"...

Comment

nope, laptop locked again.

got some windows updates (gdi detection tool) that keep failing to instal, so maybe something to do with it.

giving up for today.

I'll give up tommorrow.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                          once they all have the same workgroup name...

you can use a folder on XP called - SharedDocs on "computername"

found in My Network Places.

All machines on the workgroup shoudl have their own one... and you should be able to see them all once its worked...

If you run through the "set up a home or small office network" wizard on each machine, you should be fine. Just call the common group the same name "Home" or "MSHome"...

yep tried MShome for both and keeps coming up with error.

Comment

same error that there is an invalid character in the name...?

Comment

the machines need different names.

but the workgroup needs to be the same.

then you just go to My Network Places to see the computers within your workgroup.

is there anyway you can post a screenie of the error? or write it out?
                              I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X