How to empty expansion bottle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to empty expansion bottle?

I've just got my truck back on the road after it had some heating problems.
    It's now fine after I replaced the radiator.

However, my expansion tank is still fully of brown water and I'd like to get rid of it. Is it a problem if there's too much water in the ex tank? How do I get rid of it?

Also, what else would you recommend I do now that the radiator is replaced and the truck's running fine? I'm going to change the radiator cap and change the coolant too, when I get a chance.

Disconnect/remove cap complete with tube. Undo securing nut/bolt, at the top. Remove expansion tank, empty and flush clean. Replace in reverse order ensuring you place 50/50 antifreeze in bottom of tank to the correct level.
    Brian

Comment

its really easy!
      you can remove it by taking out 1 bolt (and maybe one other for the battery clamp) and pull it out allowing you to wash it out.
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by ferretmanabu
        I've just got my truck back on the road after it had some heating problems.
        It's now fine after I replaced the radiator.

However, my expansion tank is still fully of brown water and I'd like to get rid of it. Is it a problem if there's too much water in the ex tank? How do I get rid of it?

Also, what else would you recommend I do now that the radiator is replaced and the truck's running fine? I'm going to change the radiator cap and change the coolant too, when I get a chance.
        I wouldn't bother until you change the coolant, which I would do sooner rather than later as it sounds as though theres a lot of crud circulating in your present coolant, then do it as described by the others.
        Trust your Hound.

Comment

I have just returned from holiday in southwest France (2500 miles all told) with no problems with the truck. The temperature guage never got above normal, even on the motorways in 34 degrees!

One thing I did notice was that when I had to top up the coolant (about 4 times) the expansion tank was still full at the time.

I always thought the idea of this tank was that hot water expanded into it and when the engine cooled it was sucked back.

Having looked at the tank I cant see how this would be possible as, on the pipe between the radiator header and the tank there is a T-joint with what I can only presume is an "overflow" pipe which is shaped to drop over the back of the expansion tank.

With this, when the engine cools the only thing that can be sucked in is air. It would also explain the fact that when the engine gets hot you get a smell of hot water, presumably from excess being kicked out of this pipe.

Is there something missing somewhere or is this normal.

Ken
          [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][B][I][SIZE=3]When the going gets tough - Get out !!![/SIZE][/I][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid
            I have just returned from holiday in southwest France (2500 miles all told) with no problems with the truck. The temperature guage never got above normal, even on the motorways in 34 degrees!

One thing I did notice was that when I had to top up the coolant (about 4 times) the expansion tank was still full at the time.

I always thought the idea of this tank was that hot water expanded into it and when the engine cooled it was sucked back.

Having looked at the tank I cant see how this would be possible as, on the pipe between the radiator header and the tank there is a T-joint with what I can only presume is an "overflow" pipe which is shaped to drop over the back of the expansion tank.

With this, when the engine cools the only thing that can be sucked in is air. It would also explain the fact that when the engine gets hot you get a smell of hot water, presumably from excess being kicked out of this pipe.

Is there something missing somewhere or is this normal.

Ken
            You should find that the pipe from just below the rad cap goes into the expansion bottle and extends to nearly the bottom inside, the other pipe on the expansion tank is a breather/ overflow pipe for the expansion tank which only goes through the lid
            If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Originally posted by gary16163
              You should find that the pipe from just below the rad cap goes into the expansion bottle and extends to nearly the bottom inside, the other pipe on the expansion tank is a breather/ overflow pipe for the expansion tank which only goes through the lid
              Gary
              Oops! Youre right.
              I could have sworn it was teed.
              Thanks
              Ken
              [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][B][I][SIZE=3]When the going gets tough - Get out !!![/SIZE][/I][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
              X