what car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what car?

any recommendations for a small car as my girlfriends metro gsi has dies again (open to offers... head gasket has gone).
    we are thinking maybe a small diesel (after what ive seen the mpg is on here and read elsewhere!!!), micra/clio/polo/fiesta although a petrol is not out of the question also. something around 2002 onwards would be ideal.

anyone got any experience with reliabilty and running costs etc etc?

thanks guys!
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

dont go for the clio,apparently on the diesels they have a liner problem due to electrolosis of the aluminium and steel construction of the engine.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

cheers for the heads up.... exactly the sort of stuff we need to find out!
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

what about a diahatsu charade,there a great little car.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
          dont go for the clio,apparently on the diesels they have a liner problem due to electrolosis of the aluminium and steel construction of the engine.

We've got a Clio 1.5 dci, 2001 plate, air bags every where, air-con alloys cd with changer in boot, ABS, PAS, sunroof, E/W, E/M, 60mpg, £50 per year road tax. £130 fully comp insurance (missus, 34 full no claims) best little car we've ever owned.

Comment

probably not practical enough for you but bought the wife an MG MGF for her birthday a few weeks ago, cant fit s*it in it but its a good laugh, and looks great topless (the car, not the wife, all though she looks great topless as well)
            the b****y dogs have been at it again

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              We've got a Clio 1.5 dci, 2001 plate, air bags every where, air-con alloys cd with changer in boot, ABS, PAS, sunroof, E/W, E/M, 60mpg, £50 per year road tax. £130 fully comp insurance (missus, 34 full no claims) best little car we've ever owned.
              hi vince,if the car is low milage which knowing you it is,its not really a problem.the problem start with the higher milage engines,and the ones that arnt that well looked after.the inhibitor in the antifreeze stops the electrolosis,if this gets diluted or through bad servicing its not replenished then the aluminium block reacts with the steel liners and hence the tops of the liners crack off.this then has the effect of the liner going up and down with the piston
              Last edited by surfenstein; 24 September 2006, 22:03.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

hi vince,if the car is low milage which knowing you it is,its not really a problem.the problem start with the higher milage engines,and the ones that arnt that well looked after.the inhibitor in the antifreeze stops the electrolosis,if this gets diluted or through bad servicing its not replenished then the aluminium block reacts with the steel liners and hence the tops of the liners crack off.this then has the effect of the liner going up and down with the piston

Blimey!
                Ours has just turned 60,000 miles and has a full Renault service history, (dunno if thats good or bad!), plus I done a full service when we got it, so should be OK. Jo wants a newer model next year anyway.

Comment

the small diesel peugeots have inhereted the same problem.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

Stay away from all french cars, there all the same except the shape!! They are poo, the worst cars i have ever worked on, and believe me, i have worked on some $$$$. I would put french cars at No1 for un-reliability which just peeps Landrover which i would have at No2
                    What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gazbo
                      Stay away from all french cars, there all the same except the shape!! They are poo, the worst cars i have ever worked on, and believe me, i have worked on some $$$$. I would put french cars at No1 for un-reliability which just peeps Landrover which i would have at No2
                      I have to agree with that, I've also worked on a lot of vehicles and the french ones are $hit, nothing but trouble
                      If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

what about a diahatsu charade,there a great little car.
                        Good idea, my ex had one, nippy, cheap to run and fun to drive.

Also get the bonus of it basically being a baby Toyota

Here's a rare one !!!

Trev
                        Last edited by That Ruddy Squirrel; 24 September 2006, 22:55.
                        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

i know a chap had a brand new clio diesel about 8 years back, on the first day it was raining hard and cos the air intake was under the engine, it drank a whole lot of water at totalled the thing... not ideal..they have probably changed the design by now...
                          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                            i know a chap had a brand new clio diesel about 8 years back, on the first day it was raining hard and cos the air intake was under the engine, it drank a whole lot of water at totalled the thing... not ideal..they have probably changed the design by now...

It's on top of the engine now, above the inlet manifold. Seems like the ideal place to me!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                              It's on top of the engine now, above the inlet manifold. Seems like the ideal place to me!
                              yes, you would have thought it was the obvious place....
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X