yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am the starter motor God (or is that dog?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am the starter motor God (or is that dog?)

Hello,

OK - did the starter motor lash up Wednesday and it no work. So, given that its all been apart and is all nice and clean, and I now know what the hell I'm doing...........

Tried again this afternoon, this time with all three kits, and hey presto my truck starts. This is the best bit........

Lift bonnet, undo both batteries, pull off dipstick tube (leave fuel filter alone), jack up car, pull off wheel, undo three bolts on motor, undo two cables, wiggle it out from underneath (me got body lift) - 25 minutes

Dismantle motor, assemble new kits - 20 minutes

Lose 10 minutes fiddling with rubbish little breather tubes on side of motor - DOH....

Put back into truck - reverse of above (put cables on before fitting any bolts) connect batteries, start first time - 25 minutes

One Hour and Twenty minutes start to finish (or was that start (the car))

Bring it on!
    Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 22 November 2006, 19:08.
    Another member of the 'A' team

I forgot to say there is a new part number -

For a 1992 2.4TD

28226 - 54300 starter kit (this is the kit with the zinc cover) - £5.08+vat
    28226 - 54220 starter kit (this is the kit with one contact) - £7.55+vat
    28235 - 17030 plunger, magnet - £15.19+vat

Total - £32.69 from Toyota Bridgend

Comment

I stipped mine down yesterday, and the last time it worked a treat, this time its poo, looks like i need a kit?
      What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gazbo
        I stipped mine down yesterday, and the last time it worked a treat, this time its poo, looks like i need a kit?
        We got the exact same spec trucks. Get the kits of your local Toyota dealer and fit them - job done - parts numbers above.

On the other thread there was a discussion about 'setting' the contacts.
        http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26011

Here's what I did - first set (copper bolt already fitted to contact) just fit it making sure you push the contact flat to the insulator to stop any rotating when tightening the nut.

Second set - with the serrated bolt - keep the contact pushed flat to the insulator (I used a large spanner) and tighten the nut. This will pull the serrations through the contact ( and resist any turning of the contact when tightening) and set it in the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
          I forgot to say there is a new part number -

For a 1992 2.4TD

28226 - 54300 starter kit (this is the kit with the zinc cover) - £5.08+vat
          28226 - 54220 starter kit (this is the kit with one contact) - £7.55+vat
          28235 - 17030 plunger, magnet - £15.19+vat

Total - £32.69 from Toyota Bridgend

do i need both the starter kits to repair starter motor?

Comment

Originally posted by sledge
            do i need both the starter kits to repair starter motor?
            Who dug this old thread up - ???? Sorry for the title I must have been on drugs. anyway.

If you're pulling the starter off you might as well change the three components.

Warning - if you have no body lift this job is a real sod! You will have to lift the motor out past the (removed) fuel filter. Its heavy, oily, slippery, heavy and you will grow to hate that motor with a passion.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
              Hello,

OK - did the starter motor lash up Wednesday and it no work. So, given that its all been apart and is all nice and clean, and I now know what the hell I'm doing...........

Tried again this afternoon, this time with all three kits, and hey presto my truck starts. This is the best bit........

Lift bonnet, undo both batteries, pull off dipstick tube (leave fuel filter alone), jack up car, pull off wheel, undo three bolts on motor, undo two cables, wiggle it out from underneath (me got body lift) - 25 minutes

Dismantle motor, assemble new kits - 20 minutes

Lose 10 minutes fiddling with rubbish little breather tubes on side of motor - DOH....

Put back into truck - reverse of above (put cables on before fitting any bolts) connect batteries, start first time - 25 minutes

One Hour and Twenty minutes start to finish (or was that start (the car))

Bring it on!

Body lift was your best pal there my friend. I did a 2.4 without a lift and the top bolt on the starter is so close to the bodywork its murder to get out.

I think it took me as many hours as it did you mins to get the thing out.

Well done.
              I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
                Body lift was your best pal there my friend. I did a 2.4 without a lift and the top bolt on the starter is so close to the bodywork its murder to get out.

I think it took me as many hours as it did you mins to get the thing out.

Well done.
                I've just had a brainwave!

Loosen the five bolts that hold near side of the body to the truck frame and jack it up to get the starter out from underneath!

Bolt behind the bumper is a bit of a sod mind.

I wasn't being serious, honest.......

Comment

Working...
                X