yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gauge showing hotter, bonnet is cold....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauge showing hotter, bonnet is cold....

Hi all

Driving home tonight, I watched the gauge go towards the red slowly, so I put the heater onto the 'melt passengers' setting and the neddle settled down again. When I got home, the bonnet, that I can normally cook on, was as good as cold....

When I was cleaning the rad out the other day after laning, and the rad cap seal looked past its best - could that be it?
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Originally posted by itbloke@tiscali.co.uk
    Hi all

Driving home tonight, I watched the gauge go towards the red slowly, so I put the heater onto the 'melt passengers' setting and the neddle settled down again. When I got home, the bonnet, that I can normally cook on, was as good as cold....

When I was cleaning the rad out the other day after laning, and the rad cap seal looked past its best - could that be it?
    possibly but i would change the thermo aswell
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

If the rad cap isn't working properly, the system won't be sealed and pressurise
      correctly, which will lead to coolant being blown out and temperatures rising. It
      will also prevent the vacuum from being created which draws coolant back in
      from the expansion tank as the engine cools. As Richard said, it would be
      advisable to replace the thermostat as well. If that is stuck open, it can achieve
      the same type of effect on temps. It'll take the engine yonks to warm up, but once
      it does, the coolant won't be cooled properly due to a constant high flow of coolant
      through the radiator, thereby not allowing it time to cool fully as it passes through
      the rad.
      Last edited by MattF; 21 September 2006, 23:38.

Comment

I've got a stat here, so I'll switch it and see how I get on as I'll have to order the rad cap and wait for it to turn up. Luckily I have another car as I'm taking SWMBO away this weekend (firm is paying due to my working 94 hours a week for the past 3 weeks) so, I'll leave it to Sunday and see how I get on.

Cheers both, really appreciate your help!

Comment

Order the rad cap???? I got mine from my local motorists emporium type shop place.

Comment

Hmmm, I looked around 2 BIG Halfrauds and you have to order one to fit?!?!?!

So, I either wait for that bunch to order the wrong one 5 or 6 times, or just save myself some time, and get one from Roughtrax

Mind you - I could just take it along to the guy in Banbury Motor Parts and see if it matches the ones he has......

Comment

Hmmm, I looked around 2 BIG Halfrauds and you have to order one to fit?!?!?!

So, I either wait for that bunch to order the wrong one 5 or 6 times, or just save myself some time, and get one from Roughtrax

Mind you - I could just take it along to the guy in Banbury Motor Parts and see if it matches the ones he has......

I just asked for a rad cap for a Hilux 2.4 diesel.

Comment

Maybe I need to make a trip to the folks, how close are the mines to Llanfyllin?

Comment

As far as I know, (which ain't usually much, ), the actual rad cap fitting is fairly
                  universal, as is the pressure, 0.9 bar. Or am I incorrect?

Comment

Maybe I need to make a trip to the folks, how close are the mines to Llanfyllin?

About 120 miles!

Comment

any decent motor factors will have one or be able to order one. all it depends on is whether it's 2.4 or 3L.

Comment

Working...
                      X